July 4, 2011

Knowing God

It's a sad thing in our world today...that most people don't believe they can know God.  


I've been slowly reading a book called "Knowing God" by J. I. Packer. I must admit it is slow going. Not because its boring, but quite the opposite, it's giving me so much to absorb. Chapter 3 is called, 'Knowing and being known.' He starts out with some big questions, and then answers them with God's Word:

"What were we made for? ...To know God. 

What aim should we set ourselves in life? ...To know God.

What is the "eternal life" that Jesus gives? ...Knowledge of God. 

"This is eternal life: that they may know you, the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom you have sent." Jn. 17:3

What is the best thing in life, bringing more joy, delight and contentment than anything else? ...Knowledge of God.

This is what the LORD says: 'Let not the wise man boast of his wisdom or the strong man boast of his strength or the rich man boast of his riches, but let him who boasts boast about this: that he understands and knows me.' Jer. 9:23-24

What, of all the states God ever sees man in, gives God most pleasure? ...Knowledge of himself. "I desired...the knowledge of God more than burnt offerings." says God. Hos. 6:6"

In the second half of the chapter he talks about being known by God. And that: "...all my knowledge of him depends on his sustained initiative in knowing me." He goes on to say:

"I know him because he first knew me, and continues to know me. He knows me as a friend, one who loves me; and there is no moment when his eye is off me, or his attention distracted from me, and no moment, therefore, when his care falters."

When you really think about this, its mind boggling and humbling. It's also very comforting. He ends the chapter with these words:

"There is tremendous relief in knowing that his love to me is utterly realistic, based at every point on prior knowledge of the worst about me, so that no discovery now can disillusion him about me, in the way I am so often disillusioned about myself, and quench his determination to bless me.

There is, certainly, great cause for humility in the thought that he sees all the twisted things about me that my fellow humans do not see (and am I glad!), and that he sees more corruption in me than that which I see in myself (which, in all conscience, is enough).  

There is, however, equally great incentive to worship and love God in the thought that, for some unfathomable reason, he wants me as his friend, and desires to be my friend, and has given his son to die for me in order to realize this purpose. We cannot work these thoughts out here, but merely to mention them is enough to show how much it means to know not merely that we know God, but that he knows us."

I wholeheartedly agree and feel truly thankful and blessed to know and be known by God. :)

"If you call out for insight and cry aloud for understanding, and if you look for it as for silver and search for it as for hidden treasure, then you will understand the fear of the Lord and find the knowledge of God." Proverbs 2:3-5





2 comments:

  1. Cathy, thank you so much for sharing this. It's such a blessing and a privilege to get to know Him more and more every day. And like you said, we can be so humbled and thankful that we are known by Him.

    Sweet blessings,
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  2. Appreciate your comment ...thanks :)

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to leave your own thoughts in the comments. I try to respond to all of them by the end of the week. : )