December 8, 2012

What 'It's about giving' means to me

I'm blogging for Compassion International again today and the theme is giving and what it means to me.

For me I believe everything we have is a gift from God...everything (That includes our pay checks) :) And He expects us to share what He's given us. (not just 10%) :) I know this is a hard concept for some, but for the believer it should be our way of life. God gives and He takes away, all for His glory and for His children's ultimate good.

The story in Luke 18 is a hard story to swallow. A very wealthy man comes to Jesus and asks how he can inherit eternal life. He's a man who has done good in his life and keeps the commandments, but Jesus says there is one more thing he needs to do. He needs to give all he has away to the poor and come follow Him. This is very distressing to him and the man leaves heavy-hearted.

I believe it is necessary to have an attitude that everything is God's...everything. We have to let go of the attitude that what is ours is ours, we earned it. We need to share everything.

I've been sponsoring children since I was 18 years old and I couldn't imagine not helping the poor in this way. It's become part of me.

I've tried to teach this to my children. And I am a proud mom because my 2 oldest children sponsor children and I know my youngest will when she gets old enough to send in support.

I also believe giving should come from the heart, not from duty. Giving should come from compassion, not because others are doing it. It should be done in love.

"And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned, but have not love, it profits me nothing." 1 Cor. 13:3

God blesses those who give from the heart.


"Give generously to him and do so without a grudging heart; then because of this the LORD your God will bless you in all your work and in everything you put your hand to." Deu. 15:10

To please God we must give 'poor in spirit.'

"Blessed are the poor in spirit, For theirs is the kingdom of heaven." Matt. 5:3

What does this mean 'poor in spirit?'

I found this chapter from A.W. Tozer's book 'Pursuit of God,' explains it well. I love the way Tozer explains how God taught Abraham how to be 'poor in spirit' and therefore teaching us. Click  HERE  to read.

Would you consider giving a gift this Christmas to someone in need?

Click HERE to give a gift this Christmas



Thank-you!






4 comments:

  1. A good post on giving. Our church is giving to build a well and irrigation system for a village in Ghana, West Africa. In February a team from our church will go and do the physical work for the project. Giving is such a blessing! I'm here from God bumps. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Elizabeth, thanks for stopping by! Great to hear about churches working together at giving. :)

      Delete
  2. Amen and Amen! Love the work Compassion is doing. We just had a gentleman from our church visit his Compassion child in Ethiopia and had wonderful stories to share of how their simple gifts had blessed the child and his family. There are so many ways to share our abundance this holiday season.
    Keep up the God work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so good to hear! It would be awesome to be able to meet my Compassion kids one day. :)

      Delete

Feel free to leave your own thoughts in the comments. I try to respond to all of them by the end of the week. : )