October 1, 2013

Intercessory Prayer

Ok, I promise this is my last post on Charles Spurgeon's book, The Power of Prayer in a Believer's Life! It was just such a great book. : )


Intercede: to act or interpose in behalf of someone in difficulty or trouble, as by pleading or petition

Spurgeon says:

"Do you go into prayer and in the face and presence of God not thinking of anyone but yourself? Surely the love of Christ cannot be in you, for the Spirit of Christ is not selfish."

Interceding for others is taking them in prayer to the throne of grace and laying them down at the feet of Christ. It's asking on their behalf for something they need. If you are a Christian someone did this for you.

Spurgeon continues here:

"How can you and I repay the debt we owe to the church unless we pray for others? How was it that you were converted? It was because somebody else prayed for you."

When he refers to the church here he is not talking about a building or an organization that promotes Christianity. He's talking about human beings. He's talking about people who have surrendered their lives to Christ and follow Him.

He's talking about someone who interceded for you.

He later goes on to talk about grace for others in our prayers:

"It is utterly impossible that you should have a large measure of grace unless it prompts you to use your influence for others. If your soul has grace at all and you are not a mighty intercessor, that grace must be but as a grain of mustard seed - a shrivelled, puny thing. You have just enough grace to float your soul clear from the quicksand, but you have no deep floods of grace or else you would carry a rich cargo of the needs of others up to the throne of God. and you would bring back for them rich blessings that they might not have obtained without you."

"It is impossible for a mature saint to live or pray for himself alone."

Have you ever been frustrated with someone's doctrine which you felt was just a bit off? You wanted so badly to correct them and make them see what you see?

Spurgeons advice:

"It is better to pray than it is to argue. Sometimes you think it would be a good thing to have a public discussion upon a doctrine. It would be a better thing to have prayer over it. Carry your dear friends who are wrong in practice - not to the discussion room - but before God, and let this be your cry, 'Teach me if I am wrong, and teach my friend wherein he errs, and make him right.'"

Finally, here is my favorite quote from this chapter on intercessory prayer: 

"Remember that intercessory prayer is the sweetest prayer God ever hears."

22 comments:

  1. So many times I have found this to be true in my life: "It is better to pray than it is to argue." Especially with matters concerning those closest to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too. I need to pray more and argue less. : )

      Delete
  2. Hello, Cathy. You linked up ahead of me this week at Monday Multitudes. Spurgeon always has a good word, doesn't he? This book is unfamiliar to me, but I benefited from the thoughts you share here. Thank you for this post. Grace and peace to you in Christ Jesus.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes he does! Glad you enjoyed the post. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  3. Spurgeon speaks with such wisdom and God's Truth. I like to read him and many of those older generations of Christians. Glad you came by via my book blog!
    Caring through Christ, ~ linda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Linda, I love reading some of these historical preachers too. So much to take in!

      Delete
  4. Many of those older books written by the saints who were able to "touch" God are so wonderful. My husband loves the notes in his bible by Rev Spurgeon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I agree! Thanks for stopping by Hazel. : )

      Delete
  5. I love books on prayer. Always looking for a new one. Probably my most favorite so far is The Power of Praying® for Your Adult Children: Stormie Omartian ... Have you read it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't read that one but since 2 of my children are adults now this may be a good book for me. Thanks for the recommendation. Glad to have you following. : )

      Delete
  6. Amen! I have come to realize that sometimes God places people on my heart throughout the day to intercede for them.

    Thanks for linking up with Woman to Woman's Word Filled Wednesday! Join us again next week. God bless!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's exciting when God does that because it reminds us of how much He cares and loves us all. God bless you too Jenifer!

      Delete
  7. Hi Cathy! I am coming over from Bible Love Notes.

    It is an amazing privilege to pray for others, isn't it? The trust and faith in that request is so beautiful. It sure is better to pray than argue! No one would dispute that.

    Nice to meet you today!
    Ceil

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ceil, thanks for stopping by. Nice to meet you too! : )

      Delete
  8. Stopping by from Imperfect Prose.

    This really struck me: "You have just enough grace to float your soul clear from the quicksand, but you have no deep floods of grace or else you would carry a rich cargo of the needs of others up to the throne of God..."

    How often do I "hoard" the grace of God, what He lavishes on me, and though "my cup overflows" do not act as a grace giver . . . yes, praying for others is the beginning of becoming an outpouring of God's grace to others.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kelly, that quote struck me too. I find Spurgeons words thought-provoking, yet simple. Thanks for sharing.

      Delete
  9. I count it an honor and privilege to stand in the gap and intercede on behalf of others. I am reminded how Jesus is our Great Intercessors, and how He always goes to the Father on our behalf. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes , I often think of Jesus' intercession for us too. John 17:20-26 is one of my favorite passages. : )

      Delete
  10. Love this post. Thank you for sharing on such a beautiful subject!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Cathy this was a beautiful post. Thanks for sharing it over at WholeHearted Home.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Cathy,
    I love this post on such an important topic. I agree wholeheartedly with Spurgeon's take on intercessory prayer. We are asked to love one another. and in that we approach God's throne for each other.

    Thanks for linking up.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Summer, Judith and Anita, thanks for your comments! Glad you all stopped by. : )

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to leave your own thoughts in the comments. I try to respond to all of them by the end of the week. : )