October 28, 2013

No Longer a Slumdog

Jesus on every page.


This is how I felt reading this book. Jesus was honored on every page. Every page shone with the hope and love He can bring to the lost, the lonely, the unwanted.

K.P. Yohannan says of these:

"Throughout the world, more than 150 million children between the ages of 4 and 14 are involved in child labour. There are 1.2 million children bought and sold every year."


150 million children working for nearly nothing??

1.2 million children sold into doing horrific acts??

How do we comprehend this. It's easy to be put off by the numbers, but each one of these children is a real person.

Joesph Stalin once said:

"One death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic."

Let's not  think like Stalin, let us remember each one of these millions of children is an individual with worth in the eyes of God.

K. P. Yohannan is the founder of 'Gospel for Asia' an organization dedicated to helping the least of these all over Asia.

Francis Chan says of him:

"There are few (maybe no) men I respect more than him. In our day and age, it is hard to find a man who can lead thousands while diverting attention away from himself and onto Jesus. God has graced K. P. Yohannan with this type of humility while he leads millions."

In his book, K. P. Yohannan, talks about the devastation of the caste system built on the religion of Hinduism and how it has keep so many in bondage. He talks about the begging children on the streets of India and how they are pimped out to make money they rarely see themselves. He talks about the filth they live in and how no one even gives them a second look.

Then he talks about Jesus and how His love can change a heart and set it free.

The book also contains many beautiful stories of how God has changed children through this program. How these children now have hope in knowing they have worth. How they have been set free from the bondage of reincarnation and the caste system of inequality.

Click on the link below to hear one of these stories:

Nibun's Story

Yohannan also included some great quotes to ponder. I've included a few here:

"The more often we feel without acting, the less we will be able ever to act, and, in the long run, the less we will be able to feel."           
                                                                                                               C. S. Lewis

"Every man feels instinctively that all the beautiful sentiments in the world weigh less than a single lovely action."
                                                                                          James Russell Lowell

"You can give without loving, but you cannot love without giving." 
                                                                                                     Amy Carmichael


*K. P. Yohannan is giving away his book for FREE.  You can click on this link here for your own copy:  No Longer a Slumdog Website

12 comments:

  1. Dear Cathy
    Thank you for introducing me to this wonderful book. I have just down loaded it as a PDF file for free. I cannot wait to start reading. Yes, love that does not give is man/'s kind of love. But the love that God pours into our hearts cannot do anything else but give!
    Blessings XX
    Mia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Cathy, its not often I see a book review and want to get the book, but you have certainly made me curious and I will be looking out for it.
    God bless and thank you for linking up on Winsome Wednesday. I appreciate it greatly
    God bless
    Tracy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Cathy, me again, I too will be downloading the free version. What a blessing!
    God bless
    Tracy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amazing and eye opening! Thank you for the amazing post. We are here from Whole Hearted Home Link up. We really enjoyed your post.
    My sister and I blog over at http:/./rosevinecottagegirls.blogspot.com and http://thelifeofanotsonormalamericanteenager.blogspot.com We would love to have you over sometime and keep in touch. We will be looking for you on Facebook as well. Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Cathy! I just got that book at Allume. I'm looking forward to reading it. Thanks for linking with #TellHisStory.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This book sounds interesting!

    Thank you for linking with Woman to Woman's Word Filled Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello, I read this book last year! It was very moving, and leaves you feeling wealthy and in need of dropping to my knees!
    Blessings, Roxy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Joining you today from Faith-Filled Friday link up. I had no prior knowledge of the book from your review, but I feel as though I am familiar now like an old friend. Thank you for sharing your thoughts and words today :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glad to see so many interested in this book! You will be blessed by it.

    Make sure you take advantage of the free paperback so you can share it with friends. : )

    Here's the link: http://www.gfa.org/book/?cm_mmc=GFA-_-Slumdog-_-B9-site-_-General

    ReplyDelete
  10. My heart breaks for those held in bondage through human trafficking. I ordered the book. Thank you so much for sharing this today.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You're the second or third recommendation for this book...I guess I better put it on my must read list!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I just downloaded - how I love this pioneer spirit of so many women who are called into places outside their communities! I understand in a way how my oldest son felt when his friends went away to college and he went here - he felt left behind for awhile until God showed him what He wanted Him to do. God has given me a different mission field - but it does not stop me from praying, supporting and learning about all the other necessary mission fields:) Thank you for the opportunity to read this book!~

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to leave your own thoughts in the comments. I try to respond to all of them by the end of the week. : )