April 7, 2014

5 books on my future reading list

Sense and Sensibility

Jane Austen wrote six full length novels. I've read five of them, but for some reason I've kept putting off Sense and Sensibility.

Now I'm excited to jump into it.

Jane's writing is exquisite and though it takes a few chapters to get used to the 19th century language once you get into one of her stories, you really appreciate it and grow to love it.

And this one has been beloved by many.

Amazon describes it this way:

"Sense and Sensibility is the story of two sisters, Elinor and Marianne Dashwood, who represent sense and sensibility, respectively. 

When both appear to be deserted by the young men they had intended to marry, the stage is set for a delicious comedy of manners that not only showcases Austen's perception, humor and incomparable prose, but offers a splendid glimpse of upper and middle-class English society of the early 19th century."



 The Hiding Place

I think I'm the only person who hasn't read this book!

It's been on my bookshelf for years and now it's time to dust it off and read what everyone says is a wonderful and encouraging story of the life of Corrie ten Boom.

Amazon says here:

"Corrie ten Boom was a woman admired the world over for her courage, her forgiveness, and her memorable faith. 

In World War II, she and her family risked their lives to help Jews escape the Nazis, and their reward was a trip to Hitler's concentration camps. 

But she survived and was released--as a result of a clerical error--and now shares the story of how faith triumphs over evil."



Sheba: The Rise of the Legendary Queen

I recently read another book (Iscariot) by Tosca Lee that was so interesting and thought-provoking.

Now I'm excited to read this one which comes out in September.

Amazon says here:

"In the tenth century BC, the new Queen of Sheba has inherited her father’s throne and all its riches at great personal cost. 

Her realm stretches west across the Red Sea into land wealthy in gold, frankincense, and spices. 

But now new alliances to the North threaten the trade routes that are the lifeblood of her nation. Solomon, the brash new king of Israel famous for his wealth and wisdom, will not be denied the tribute of the world—or of Sheba’s queen. 

With tensions ready to erupt within her own borders and the future of her nation at stake, the one woman who can match wits with Solomon undertakes the journey of a lifetime in a daring bid to test and win the king. But neither ruler has anticipated the clash of agendas, gods, and passion that threatens to ignite—and ruin—them both. An explosive retelling of the legendary king and queen and the nations that shaped history."



God's Smuggler

I downloaded this book onto my e-reader having no idea how Brother Andrew's life intertwined with Corrie ten Boom's.

I recently found out they often traveled together behind the Iron Curtain to share the Gospel.

To have both these books on my reading list without knowing this, I thought was really cool. : )

The back cover say:

"A true-life thriller that will leave you breathless!

As a boy, Brother Andrew dreamed of being an undercover spy working behind enemy lines. As a man he found himself working undercover for God. His was a mission filled with danger, financed by faith, supported by miracles.

Told it was impossible to minister behind the Iron Curtain, Andrew knew that nothing was too hard for God. Crossing "closed" borders, he prayed, 'Lord, in my luggage I have Scripture I want to take to Your children. When You were on earth, You made blind eyes see. Now, I pray, make seeing eyes blind. Do not let the guards see those things You do not want them to see.'


And they never did"



Bridge to Haven

I haven't read a Francine Rivers novel in awhile.

I absolutely love her writing. It's so real and powerful. God has truly given Francine the gift of Godly storytelling.

Based on the story of the prodigal son...

Amazon describes it here:

"To those who matter in 1950s Hollywood, Lena Scott is the hottest rising star to hit the silver screen since Marilyn Monroe. Few know her real name is Abra. Even fewer know the price she’s paid to finally feel like she’s somebody.

To Pastor Ezekiel Freeman, Abra will always be the little girl who stole his heart the night he found her, a wailing newborn abandoned under a bridge on the outskirts of Haven. Zeke and his son, Joshua—Abra’s closest friend—watch her grow into an exotic beauty. But Zeke knows the circumstances surrounding her birth etched scars deep in her heart, scars that leave her vulnerable to a fast-talking bad boy who proclaims his love and lures her to Tinseltown. 


Hollywood feels like a million miles from Haven, and naive Abra quickly learns what’s expected of an ambitious girl with stars in her eyes. But fame comes at an awful price. She has burned every bridge to get exactly what she thought she wanted. Now, all she wants is a way back home.

In this riveting and highly anticipated tale of temptation, grace, and unconditional love, New York Times best-selling author Francine Rivers delivers big-canvas storytelling at its very best."



24 comments:

  1. Well, I just had to go and buy the Brother Andrew's book, LOL. I loved Corrie Ten Boom when I was younger, she was one of my huge role-models. I still admire her deeply and her courage and faith is such an example to follow. I hope I will be able to be as true to my faith as she was.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm looking forward to reading Corrie's book! Glad you picked up Brother Andrew's. I'm excited to read his story as well. Thanks for stoppng by Joanna! : )

      Delete
  2. I've read God's Smuggler. It is intense. It is amazing. It's so God filled. You'll love it.
    Blessings,
    Laura of Harvest Lane Cottage

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Laura! I love these kinds of books!

      Delete
  3. Looks like great list. I will have to check a few of these out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you enjoy them. Thanks for stopping by Kimberly! : )

      Delete
  4. I'm so glad I found your blog! I've read three out of five (years ago) and specifically the pages of, "The Hiding Place" and "God's Smuggler" are dog-eared.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by Donna, I'm sure I'll being doing some dog-earing on these books too. : )

      Delete
  5. I remember reading God's Smuggler when I was a child! I will have to pick that one back up. I also added 'Sheba: The Rise of the Legendary Queen' To my read pile! That cover is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is gorgeous and sounds like an intriguing story!

      Delete
  6. I'm next to you at Thought Provoking Thursday. Fun to see what you're reading!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I must read God's Smuggler again. I read it when I was a teen and it left a large impression on me.
    I think the only book of Jane Austen I have read is Sense and Sensibility :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've just started both of these and enjoying them. Thanks for stopping by Tamryn! : )

      Delete
  8. Cathy,

    Nice to meet you. I'm hopping over belatedly from Ann's link up. What fun to find another book lover. :) Please add "In the Land of Blue Burqas" to that too. I enjoyed the Hiding Place, and Brother Andrew's book. O, a new Francine Rivers? Neat.

    Jennifer Dougan
    www.jenniferdougan.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice to meet you too Jennifer. I have 'In the Land of Blue Burqas' on my e-reader. I'll have to get to it soon. My daughter read it and loved it.

      Thanks for stopping by. : )

      Delete
  9. I will need to check these out. All books I have not read... so you're not the only person out there who hasn't read The Hiding Place. :)
    Thanks for sharing with TWW. Blessings to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard so many good things about The Hiding Place. Hope you get a chance to read it some day too. : )

      Delete
  10. I read Sense and Sensibility just a few years ago and really liked it. Maybe not as much as some of Austen's other novels, but definitely enough to recommend.

    Yes, don't delay any longer in reading The Hiding Place. Everyone in my family has read it (even my husband! ha), so it's must-reading. :) It's not easy reading though--the content is disturbing but it's very faith-building.

    I love your selection of books. Very eclectic. That's my style too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love this list of books. I think I need to re-read The Hiding Place. We as a family have recently read the God Smuggler. I haven't read Francine River in awhile and that Tosca Lee book about Sheba looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This was a good book review. I have read 3 of those books and enjoyed them immensely.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great list! I absolutely hated the movie Sense and Sensibility so I was incredibly surprised when I really liked the book! God's Smuggler is an old favorite of mine and regularly challenges my faith! AND, I didn't know about Francine Rivers' new book!!! Can't wait to read it! Thanks for sharing this at Booknificent Thursday! Always love to see what you have to share!
    Tina

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love to read, but rarely take the time to do it. Thanks for the list of some great ones to get me kickstarted again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your welcome Michelle! Enjoy!

      Thanks for stopping by. : )

      Delete

Feel free to leave your own thoughts in the comments. I try to respond to all of them by the end of the week. : )