July 23, 2014

Inspired to Sponsor

Compassion Bloggers have been asked to post about what or who inspired us to sponsor a child.

For me it was Steve Camp.

When I was eighteen a friend and I went to his concert. There we sat in the bleachers of a school gym. He talked about this organization that helped the poor all over the world. I'd never heard of it before and was instantly intrigued.


That night, I felt strongly led by the Holy Spirit to sponsor a child and I have never looked back since.

I know some people think it's annoying when they go to a concert and the singer starts talking about giving to the poor, but I wonder where I'd be if Steve Camp hadn't, where would my sponsored children be now?

I'm grateful Steve Camp took that step of faith and shared. I thought I'd share one of Steve's inspiring songs  (and yes, it's very 80's) : )


Whatever You Ask

Lord I see the things you ask of me

Faithfulness, holiness and purity

I love your truth, I long to show it to the world for You

So Lord I need your help to understand

The other person who I sometimes am

I never want to live a day that I can't say to You

Lord, whatever You ask I want to obey You

To let my life beat with a servant's heart

Lord whatever You ask I know that you can give me wisdom and courage

To equal the task, Lord, whatever You ask

I think so much, it steals away

The will to make the time to serve and pray 

And there are days I don't take up Your cross and follow You

But I have learned that I can talk with You

You know everything that I am going through

If I just ask I find that You're right there

Providing me with the strength I need

...to equal the task

Lord whatever You ask


"Blessed is the one who considers the poor!
In the day of trouble the LORD delivers him"  Psalm 41:1



Would you like to sponsor a child in need and change a life?

These kids are waiting for a sponsor today: Children in Need


15 comments:

  1. This is beautiful.
    First time hearing of Steve Camp.
    He sounds like a great guy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. To me Steve Camp was the 'Casting Crowns' of the 80's. : ) His songs were filled with gospel truth and encouraged me to live for Christ.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved Steve Camp, then and now!! He was a true leader in the cause of the orphan.

    ReplyDelete
  4. OH so 80's but awesome nonetheless!! I first heard about Compassion at a Rich Mullins concert. :) Way back then I never thought I'd ever be working for them. Wonderful post Cathy!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cathy,
    Wonderful lyrics & I don't recall how I first heard about Compassion International...but in the late 80s :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Visiting from Booknificent Thursdays. This reminds me of Matthew 25:40 "And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me."

    ReplyDelete
  7. I first heard about Compassion at a Michael W. Smith concert. It was an amazing experience to sponsor a child and communicate with him through letters! When I think of Steve Camp, I think of my college years...
    Ann @ Christ in the Clouds
    http://christintheclouds.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cathy, My husband and I say sponsorship is such a blessing sometimes we feel like we do it for us. Getting updates and photos of our sponsored kiddos is the best! Thanks for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cathy praise God for Jeremy's challenge and your tender heart. What a blessing for the children! Stopping by from Blessing Counters Linkup

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm visiting today from The Weekend Brew. I loved your poem. God only knows how powerfully He will work in sponsored children's lives. They need support, and we need to give. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am a member of the Thrive Team at Hope Unlimited for Children. Unlike virtually all other sponsorships, I know that 100% of my money goes directly to meet the needs of the children – and I've never seen another organization's post-graduation stats that can begin to match Hope's. If anyone's interest in learning more, here's a link: www.hopeunlimited.org/thrive-team

    ReplyDelete
  12. While I have not sponsored through Compassion, I have through World Vision. There was such a sense of anticipation which came when, several years later, the child had grown to no longer need support. May we be obey when God asks even when we are in a concert or a conference. Have a blessed Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm so blessed to be next to you at Janis' this week. Compassion is an amazing way to help!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank-you all for stopping by and sharing! It's always encouraging to see so many helping the needy, whether it's through Compassion or another organization.

    God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for sharing your story on Booknificent Thursday. I enjoyed it!
    Tina

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to leave your own thoughts in the comments. I try to respond to all of them by the end of the week. : )