February 7, 2016

A Few Thoughts on the Book of Revelation


I must admit the book of Revelation is not a fun read. There is a dragon and a beast. Filth, desolation and a lake of fire. Things I don't want to think about. But having read it several times through the years, I'm finding each time I do, I learn something new.

I feel a little silly about this, but I've always thought it was called the book of 'Revelations' not the book of 'Revelation' singular. This made all the difference in how I read it this time. It's not a book of 'revelations' per-say, on the end times, but rather a book that reveals our Savior, Jesus Christ, in His fullness of glory. It's about Him and His plan.

Oswald Chambers says of reading the book of Revelation:

"If we are ever going to understand the Book of Revelation we have to remember that it gives the programme of God, not the guess of a man. 'Write the things which thou hast seen, and the things which are, and the things which shall be hereafter.' (Rev. 1:19) The Apostle is writing what the Spirit revealed to him - that is the origin of the Book."

It's Jesus warning the churches. Jesus judging the nations. Jesus saving His people. Jesus reigning on high, appointed by His Father.

You can not read this book with pride in your heart...you just won't get it. It must be read humbly before God and you must be ready to see and hear who He is.

John MacArthur explains, the book of Revelation, well here:

"Unlike most books of the Bible, Revelation contains its own title: 'The Revelation of Jesus Christ' (1:1). 'Revelation' (Gr., apokalupsis) means 'an uncovering,' 'an unveiling,' or 'a disclosure.' In the NT, this word describes the unveiling of spiritual truth (Rom. 16:25; Gal. 1:12; Eph. 1:17; 3:3), the revealing of the sons of God (Rom. 8:19), Christ's incarnation (Luke 2:32), and His glorious appearing at His second coming (2 Thess. 1:7; Pet. 1:7). In all its uses, 'revelation' refers to something or someone, once hidden, becoming visible. 

What this book reveals or unveils is Jesus Christ in glory. Truths about Him and his final victory, that the rest of Scripture merely alludes to, become clearly visible through revelation about Jesus Christ. This revelation was given to Him by God the Father, and it was communicated to the Apostle John by an angel (1:1)."

The first three chapters are Jesus, Himself, speaking to John about the 7 churches of Ephesus, Smyrna, Pergamos, Thyatira, Sardis, Philadelphia and Laodicea. This part really spoke to me more than it ever has. The church today is in great need of hearing and obeying what Jesus says here. I needed to hear and be reminded.

Jesus says to John:

"Do not be afraid; I am the First and the Last.

I am He who lives, and was dead, and behold, I am alive forevermore. Amen. And I have the keys of Hades and of Death.

Write the things which you have seen, and the things which are, and the things which will take place after this." Rev. 1:17-19

I recently discovered the meaning of the word 'amen' which means, 'so be it, it is true, literally... truth.' Doesn't that bring more depth to what Jesus is saying here? He is confirming that what He says is truth.

He is forevermore alive!

In the rest of the book, John is hearing from an angel. In chapter 19 John is overwhelmed and begins to worship the angel.

"And I fell at his feet to worship him."

Then the angel said to him:

"See that you do not do that! I am your fellow servant, and of your brethren who have the testimony of Jesus. Worship God! For the testimony of Jesus is the spirit of prophecy." Rev. 19:10

This is an important point to remember..."For the testimony of Jesus is the spirit of prophecy"...The Testimony of Jesus.

The life, death and resurrection of Jesus is the spirit of prophecy. This book is about Him. Worship not the messenger, but God alone.

Mathew Henry in his commentary of Revelation 19 says here:

"He (the angel) gave a very good reason for his refusal: 'I am thy fellow-servant, and of thy brethren which have the testimony of Jesus-I am a creature, thine equal in office, though not in nature; I, as an angel and messenger of God, have the testimony of Jesus, a charge to be a witness for Him and to testify concerning Him, and thou, as an apostle, having the Spirit of prophecy, hast the same testimony to give in; and therefore we are in this brethren and fellow-servants.' He directs him to the true and only object of religious worship; namely, God: 'Worship God, and Him alone."

The angel is telling John that they are both servants of Christ, both created by God, both testifying concerning Jesus, having the same Spirit of prophecy and same testimony to give. They are fellow servants to God. He, the angel, is not to be worshiped, only God and Him alone.

This was very moving for me, because...

This was John, the beloved John.

Some believe he was the closest disciple and friend to Jesus, and yet he began to worship the angel! How easily it is for us all to become idolatrous!

Even John!

I found this so humbling as I thought of how pitiful we are before Christ and yet... His love for us never fails, His mercy is new every morning and His grace is all sufficient. 

He is our righteousness.

The apostle Paul says here:

"Yet indeed I also count all things loss for the excellence of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord, for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and count them as rubbish, that I may gain Christ

and be found in Him, not having my own righteousness, which is from the law, but that which is through faith in Christ, the righteousness which is from God by faith;

that I may know Him and the power of His resurrection, and the fellowship of His sufferings, being conformed to His death,

if, by any means, I may attain to the resurrection from the dead.

Not that I have already attained, or am already perfected; but I press on, that I may lay hold of that for which Christ Jesus has also laid hold of me." Phl. 3:8-12

After John fell at the feet of the angel and began to worship, did God turn away? Did He condemn him?

No.

He lovingly corrected him, through the words of the angel,  "See that you do not do that!" and like Paul in Philippians, John pressed on because he knew he was being perfected by the One who is his righteousness.


If you are reluctant to read the book of Revelation, think of it this way...it's a book that reveals the Savior, the One who has chosen and saved all that follow Him.

In Revelation 17:14 it says:

"These will make war with the Lamb, and the Lamb will overcome them, for He is Lord of lords and King of kings; and those who are with Him are called, chosen, and faithful." 

I don't claim to know all the meanings of this book, but I do know it reveals to me my Savior's true nature. That He is God and He reigns and will reign in glory forever.



*Note - John MacArthur quote found HERE
*Note - Oswald Chambers quote from this BOOK

 

28 comments:

  1. He is indeed the Alpha and the Omega. :) #soulsurvival

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, ambitious post, and very thorough! Blessings to you as you continue to study and enjoy the Word.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Some wonderful points here. In Sunday School, my church family is currently studying how Gentiles fit into God's picture throughout all of Scripture. We just talked about revelation yesterday! And the main takeaway was that Revelation reveals more about the true nature of God- so it's good to read and obey! : ) You demonstrated that here. Thank you! #LMMLinkup

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing Bethany! Good to hear what your learning. : )

      Delete
  4. Great job on Revelation! I'm glad you handled it the way you did. It's a tricky one to write about. I like that you didn't go into human interpretation. I have heard too much interpretation that is sensational and it gains followers and money. And, some people have so much pride that when they preach their version of interpretation, they consider their's is the right one and they don't say "it could be" or "it might be". The book explains a lot of the imagery in the text with a little bit of observation and plain reading. I also believe it was relevant then and it's relevant today. Visiting from Literacy Musings Monday! God bless!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Christina! I know what you mean by people exploiting the book of Revelation to sell their products and gain fame, it saddens me. I loved the quote by Oswald Chambers and had to include it in my post. "If we are ever going to understand the Book of Revelation we have to remember that it gives the programme of God, not the guess of a man."

      If we are distracted by speculation and sensationalism we are only being robbed of the beauty of Christ in Revelation.

      Thanks for stopping by! : )

      Delete
  5. I have also read through the book of Revelations before. There is so much packed into this prophetic book! I think it's time for me to go back and read through it again, as well. Thanks for sharing some interesting observations.
    Ann @ Christ in the Clouds - http://christintheclouds.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I barely touched on the book here and agree with you that there is so much packed into it!

      Thanks for stopping by Ann!

      Delete
  6. So true, we can lose our focus on Him and start to worship idols. Great reminder. I think prayer and mediation is the key to keep us in Christ.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The thing I took away from John's experience in worshiping the angel was a profound revealing that we all(even John)fall short of the glory of God. No work will make us good enough, our fallen nature will always fail us in this world. I see how much Jesus needs to be our all. He is the key. John knew this and was able to rest in Him alone. That's freedom in Christ. : )

      Delete
  7. PS Thanks for linking up with Literacy Musing Mondays.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm reading through Revelation now. What we have to remember is that this letter was written to be an ENCOURAGEMENT to the early church, not something to be feared or avoided. It is also the only book in which a blessing is promised from reading and applying its message.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, to believers the book of Revelation is very much encouraging. Our Savior lives and is coming back to set things right. I also felt Jesus's stern rebukes to the 7 churches was so important. We must humbly heed them in the modern church today.

      Thanks for stopping by Karen! : )

      Delete
  9. Wow! Our church did a study on Revelation last year and it can definitely be overwhelming with all the details! I love how you simplified it as pointing back to Jesus. It makes reading that book a lot less intimidating! Thanks for sharing over at Word Filled Wednesday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a bit intimidating to read isn't it! But looking for Christ throughout was comforting. Glad you stopped by! : )

      Delete
  10. you are courageous to tackle Revelation! Thank you for you good insights. Our pastor will give a summary soon and this will help. next to you at 3-D this morning in CA.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the encouragement Sue! Hope you enjoy your pastors insights.

      Thanks for stopping by. : )

      Delete
  11. Yes, the book of Revelation has always been a difficult one for me to read! Thank you for the thoroughness of this post! The next time I read it I will approach it with fresh eyes :-)
    Blessings and smiles,
    Lori

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed the post Lori. Thanks for stopping by! : )

      Delete
  12. I always see so much mercy in the Book of Revelation. It's God's last attempt to say to a dying world ... I'm real ... I want to save you, but I'm also just and must judge sin! Thanks for the reminders of our good and just God.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well said! Thanks for stopping by and sharing! : )

      Delete
  13. I've been a Revelation addict for a long time, and focusing on it is what counts for me. When I'm in Heaven I sure want to get more info re: it... OR if Jesus comes into our world before I'm in Heaven ... which would be a surprise since I might be there very soon ... as I said, I want to know more. AND I would like to be on the worshiping/warfare of Jesus when heading to our world. Always makes me think and look of Him. AND when in Heaven I'm excited that I might have a special rock to me from Him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by and sharing Caryjo! : )

      Delete
  14. There is just so much in God's word. It really is alive and active. Thank you for sharing your heart and thoughts with #TheCozyReadingSpot

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! Thanks for stopping by Marissa. I always enjoy linking up at your blog. : )

      Delete
  15. I love the way you ended this post. This book reveals our Saviour! I have actually just begun a study of Revelation in BSF here in Malaysia, and I am both looking forward to it and a little scared because I've never understood Revelation at all in my past readings. Thanks for these encouragements. They were particularly timely for me! Thanks for sharing this at Booknificent Thursday on Mommynificent.com this week!
    Tina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing Tina! So glad this post encouraged you. : )

      Delete

Feel free to leave your own thoughts in the comments. I try to respond to all of them by the end of the week. : )