September 25, 2016

'Ruth' by Elizabeth Gaskell


This is the first book I've read by Elizabeth Gaskell. You may have heard of her more popular books, 'North and South' and 'Wives and Daughters.' I've loved watching the adaptations of these stories in the movies, but had never gotten around to reading her. That has changed now, and as I really enjoyed 'Ruth,' I can't wait to read more of her novels.

This was not the easiest novel to read, the lengthy passages and conversations were sometimes hard to follow, but it had some wonderful moral truths to share.

Ruth is a young orphaned girl of 15 who lives with a seamstress who employees young girls. Ruth meets and falls in love with an older man, in his mid-twenties, who takes advantage of her innocent nature and ends up eventually leaving her pregnant.

A kindly pastor and his sister take her in and show her the grace of God.

The thing I loved about this novel the most, was that the author didn't downplay the sin of fornication. Ruth had to grapple with her sin and come to repentance. It was a beautiful thing to read, and then more beauty was shown through the grace the pastor and his sister bestow on her.

This is how God does things, He convicts us of our sin through the Holy Spirit, then promises to pour His grace upon us when we humbly come to Him in repentance.

"For the LORD takes pleasure in His people;
He will beautify the humble with salvation."  Psalm 149:4



"Surely He scorns the scornful,
But gives grace to the humble."  Proverbs 3:34

“But go and learn what this means: ‘I desire mercy and not sacrifice.' For I did not come to call the righteous, but sinners, to repentance.” Matthew 9:13 

I think we have all sinned against God and then hid. But there is no need for that, for He keeps His promises and will forgive and show us His amazing grace. He desires to share His mercy with us, that's why He calls us to repentance.

We also see the growth in Ruth's walk with God. Her love and thankfulness towards Him, as well as her maturity in her faith.

Some will think this novel is old-fashioned, but I found it so refreshing, with its honesty about the sin and consequences of fornication, balanced with the love and grace that God freely gives us.

So Beautiful.


"For I did not come to call the righteous, but sinners, to repentance" Matthew 9:13




Buy it HERE on Amazon

14 comments:

  1. I loved North and South and Wives and Daughters and have been wanting to read more of Gaskell, so I am glad to hear more about this one..

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it when fiction does the job of teaching and inspiring! Sounds as if this is a good example of that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a worthwhile read. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It took some time, but was well worth it. Thanks for stopping by Melinda!

      Delete
  4. Anything that encourages us to repent and seek forgiveness is a beautiful thing. Thanks for sharing about this book.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your comment that some will find this novel old-fashioned reminds me that so many today consider sexual SIN old-fashioned. Thank you for recommending this book. It sounds delightful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems to be sadly be a common view these day. Glad God can change a heart. : )

      Delete
  6. I've never heard of this book before. You shared some interesting thoughts. I like that you incorporated Bible verses into your analysis. God's grace is definitely a beautiful thing!

    God bless,
    Patty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is a beautiful thing! Thanks for stopping by Patty. : )

      Delete
  7. I loved both of the tv series when they came out. Would love to add this book to my must read list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love them too. I wish they'd make this novel into a movie!

      Delete
  8. I've never even heard of this book! Must add to my stack! Thanks for sharing this at Booknificent Thursday on Mommynificent.com this week!
    Tina

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to leave your own thoughts in the comments. I try to respond to all of them by the end of the week. : )