November 20, 2017

A Few Thoughts on the Book of Galatians


It's amazing how you can read Scripture over and over and each time, find something new to you, and beautiful within. That's how I felt after reading the book of Galatians again. The grace of God just shone through more than it ever has. I thought I'd share a bit here today.

My NKJV introduction says here of the book:

"The Galatians, having launched their Christian experience by faith, seem content to leave their voyage of faith and chart a new course based on works - a course Paul finds disturbing.

His letter to the Galatians is a vigorous attack against the gospel of works and a defense of the gospel of faith."'

I felt both of these deeply: a vigorous attack on works and a defense of grace through faith.

“For I through the law died to the law that I might live to God.

I have been crucified with Christ; it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself for me.

I do not set aside the grace of God; for if righteousness comes through the law, then Christ died in vain.” Galatians 2:19-21

That last sentence says it all.

If Jesus didn't die to fulfill the law and make us right with Him through His death and resurrection, than He died in vain. But if He did fulfill the law through His death and resurrection, than when we humbly come to Him in repentance we are set free from the law and become His righteousness.

His grace is sufficient.

"Christ has redeemed us from the curse of the law, having become a curse for us (for it is written, 'Cursed is everyone who hangs on a tree' " Gal. 3:13

That's what He did on that cross. He became the curse for us so we could be free of the law and given the gift of grace.

But we must believe.

"But the Scripture imprisoned everything under sin, so that the promise by faith in Jesus Christ might be given to those who believe." Gal. 3:22

Paul gives a harsh warning to the Galatians here:

"You have become estranged from Christ, you who attempt to be justified by law; you have fallen from grace." Gal. 5:4

In this verse Paul is letting the Galatians know their own attempt of justification through their own works is estranging (severed) them from Christ and has made them fall from grace.

This tells us of the utmost importance of putting our faith and hope solely in Christ and not in our own works for our justification.


This is a great book to sit down one evening and read through all at once. It's only six chapters and I think it may be easier to grasp if you do so.

I believe the key to understanding Scripture is to be in communion with the Lord. Talk to Him, ask Him anything, ask Him to help you understand. If it's your hearts desire He will be faithful to answer in His time. And when He does you will see how amazing His grace really is.

LORD, You have heard the desire of the humble;
You will prepare their heart;
You will cause Your ear to hear." Psalm 10:17



10 comments:

  1. I love Galatians. God blesses me in each chapter, in verse after verse. Thank you for sharing and reminding me that I can read it at once in a sitting and be blessed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by Linda and glad the book of Galatians blesses you!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Not sure what is meant by 'better deal' but I'm so thankful for God's grace, a very costly grace, that saved a sinner like me.
      God bless and thanks for stopping by Sandi! : )

      Delete
  3. Thank you for this thoughtful overview. I'm about to start the book of Acts today in my read through and I think Galatians is not far away, so you've primed my pump for the wonder of Scripture and, particularly, this gritty book. I seem to recall that this is the only one of Paul's letters that is missing the "grace and peace" at the beginning and at the end.
    Blessings (grace and peace!) to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Enjoy the book of Acts! I read through it last year and gained more insight. Thanks for stopping by Michele. : )

      Delete
  4. As Sandi said, "Grace is a much better deal." Oh, what uncertainty there would be in trying to work your way to heaven. Did I do enough? Am I good enough? There's so much peace in knowing that His grace is sufficient.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, so much peace and my faith is strengthened in knowing His grace is sufficient. Thanks for stopping by Julie. : )

      Delete
  5. What a great addition to Literacy Musing Mondays this past week! It truly is amazing how God reveals new things each time we read His word. We have been studying Galatians at church the past few weeks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you enjoy your study. Thanks for stopping by Tami. : )

      Delete

Feel free to leave your own thoughts in the comments. I try to respond to all of them by the end of the week. : )