August 21, 2017

5 books on my future reading list


Booked: Literature in the Soul of Me

I really enjoyed reading Karen Swallow Prior's book on the 18th century life of Hannah More, a poet, reformer and abolitionist. 

Karen is a professor of English at the Liberty University. And when I heard she had written a book on literature, I knew it would be something I'd like to read it.

She says here of her book:

"...for much of my life, I loved books more than God, never discovering for a long, long time that a God who spoke the world into existence with words is, in fact, the source of meaning of all words. My journey toward that discovery is the story of this book. 

I thought my love of books was taking me away from God, but as it turns out, books were the backwoods path back to God, bramble-filled and broken, yes, but full of truth and wonder."

And author of Bonhoeffer, Eric Metaxas, says of this book:

"Ever wished you'd had a teacher who made you want to read the classics? Your wish has come true in this beautifully-told book. 

Karen Swallow Prior movingly and honestly tells a compelling story of self-discovery and coming to faith through some of the greatest books ever written."

Sounds intriguing!



David Copperfield 

I've started reading this one and I'm really enjoying it so far. Dickens writing can be drawn out but it's so beautifully descriptive, I find myself completely immersed.

It's going to take me awhile to get through this close-to 1000 page book but I'm getting a little help from an audio-book from the library. I can cook, bake, clean and drive around doing errands while listening!

Dickens says of this novel:

"Like many fond parents, I have in my heart of hearts a favorite child, and his name is David Copperfield."

Amazon says of it here:

"Millions of readers have taken young David into their hearts as well, weeping over his misfortunes and exulting in his triumphs. Dickens' seventh novel, David Copperfield, appeared in 1850, by which time he was a British national institution. 

Based on the author's own tumultuous journey from boy to man, this epic traces David's progress from his mother's sheltering arms to the miseries of boarding-school and sweatshop, and the rewards of friendship, romance, and self-discovery in his vocation as a writer."




Caroline: Little House, Revisited

I loved the 'Little House on the Prairie' TV show when I was a child. I've also read a few of the Little House books.

So I'm looking forward to reading this story based on Caroline's point of view of the Ingalls life together.

Goodreads says of it here:

"In this novel authorized by the Little House estate, Sarah Miller vividly recreates the beauty, hardship, and joys of the frontier in a dazzling work of historical fiction, a captivating story that illuminates one courageous, resilient, and loving pioneer woman as never before—Caroline Ingalls, "Ma" in Laura Ingalls Wilder’s beloved Little House books...

...For more than eighty years, generations of readers have been enchanted by the adventures of the American frontier’s most famous child, Laura Ingalls Wilder, in the Little House books. Now, that familiar story is retold in this captivating tale of family, fidelity, hardship, love, and survival that vividly reimagines our past."




Crown of Blood

I've always been fascinated by British history. My mother is from England and though I've never been there I feel a kinship to it.

Lady Jane Grey is one of my favorite royals. Though she was only queen for 9 days and only 17 years old when she was killed, her strength and determination to not recant her Protestant beliefs in Christ alone, is inspiring.

Goodreads say of it here:

"Crown of Blood is an important and significant retelling of an often-misunderstood tale: set at the time of Jane’s downfall and following her journey through to her trial and execution, each chapter moves between the past and the “present,” using a rich abundance of primary source material (some of which has never been published) in order to paint a vivid picture of Jane’s short and turbulent life. 

This dramatic narrative traces the dangerous plots and web of deadly intrigue in which Jane became involuntarily tangled—and which ultimately led to a shocking and catastrophic conclusion."




 None Like Him: 10 Ways God is Different from Us

I loved Jen Wilkin's last book, 'Women of the Word' and have been interested in reading this new one ever since it came out last year. 

Doesn't it have the prettiest cover? : )

Amazon describes the book here:

"This exploration of ten attributes that belong to God alone reminds us of why our limits are a good thing in light of God’s limitlessness―celebrating the freedom that comes from letting God be God."

I love this....'celebrating the freedom that comes from letting God be God'. This takes the stress off from trying to be the perfect Christian, and teaches us to put our trust were it belongs...in Him. 

 I'm really looking forward to this book!


36 comments:

  1. An edifying book list to be sure, Cathy. Thank you for sharing at #LMM!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lots of interesting choices here! I loved Jen's Women of the Word and want to read this one some time, too. I have read David Copperfield number of times and love it. I had read the book on Hannah More just recently but didn't realize the author had another book out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by Barbara! Happy reading!

      Delete
  3. Wow! Great list! Now my TBR list just got a little longer. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Trema, hope you enjoy the books you choose to read from my list here!

      Delete
  4. Thanks for a great list of books! I loved the Little House books when I was growing up and I never would have known about "Caroline" if I didn't see it here. I'm looking forward to reading it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm looking forward to reading it too! Glad you stopped by Connie. : )

      Delete
  5. Such a great list! I am drawn to "Booked" especially. I have not heard of it nor the author so will place "Booked" on my list of TBR. I like to read a classic each year or two, especially the really long ones...so "David Copperfield" is my next one. Thanks for sharing these.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you enjoy both of those books! I'm really enjoying David Copperfield so far!

      Delete
  6. I have read David Copperfield and I hope to reread it again. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed 'David Copperfield.' Thanks for stopping by Miriam!

      Delete
  7. I am SO behind with my reading. This summer was so full I haven't finished even one book, which is not my norm...maybe fall :)
    Come share your list at Reader Tip Tuesday: http://www.jodiefitz.com/2017/08/22/reader-tip-tuesday-party-crafts-recipes/ We're open & growing all week. Hope to see your shares at the party. xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been a bit slow with my reading this summer too!

      Thanks for the invite to your link-up! I've added it to my link-up page.

      Delete
  8. I love to read! Thank you for the list of books. None Like Him is one that I would love to read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you enjoy it! Thanks for stopping by Valerie!

      Delete
  9. I have read None Like Him, and HIGHLY recommend it. I actually used the information I gained from it to teach, one week at a time, God's incommunicable attributes to the kids in my Sunday School. Very worthwhile read. And Booked is on my someday reading list too. I love Karen Swallow Prior's writing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you liked 'None Like Him.' I just bought it and I'm looking forward to starting it soon.

      Delete
  10. Oooo - I'm so happy to come across your list! I just added 3 to mine! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you stopped by Alyson! Hope you enjoy them!

      Delete
  11. These books are so inspiring. Thanks so much for sharing on the #LMMLinkup this week.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks like a great group of books!
    Visiting from #Faith'nFriends

    ReplyDelete
  13. These look great! I'm especially interested in the one about Caroline! I've spent much time imagining the events of those books from her perspective, and I'd love to read a book like that! Thanks for sharing this at Booknificent Thursday on Mommynificent.com!
    Tina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you enjoy 'Caroline'. Thanks for stopping by Tina!

      Delete
  14. Well some of those are going on my tbr list right away. Thanks for sharing them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stooping by Susanne! Hope you enjoy them!

      Delete
  15. I MUST read Caroline -- I'm a big Little House fan :) I'm a little nervous to hear her fictionalized, but I've heard good things about the book. Actually, all your books here sound good to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had mixed feeling about "Caroline", it was beautifully written and I loved Caroline's voice, but there were a couple of sexual scenes that I felt were unnecessary and uncomfortable to read. (I'm not a fan of sexual content in novels). So I have a hard time recommending it now. : (

      But I'm glad you stopped by Susan! I just finished "David Copperfield" and loved it! I highly recommend that one. : )

      Delete
  16. I need to save these recommendations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So far I highly recommend David Copperfield! Thanks for stopping by Anita. : )

      Delete

Feel free to leave your own thoughts in the comments. I try to respond to all of them by the end of the week. : )