December 9, 2011

Compassion International

During this Christmas season of giving I thought I'd share a little about my journey with Compassion International.

"Open thy mouth, judge righteously, and plead the cause of the poor and needy." Proverbs 31:9


I have been sponsoring children through Compassion for over 25 years and I just love this organization!

I first heard of Compassion, when I attended a Steve Camp concert when I was 18 years old. During his talk on what they did and how we could help, I felt a strong stirring from the Lord to sponsor a child. I didn't have a job at the time and wasn't sure how I was going to pay for it, but I trusted God's prompting. I believe that when God asks something of you financially he will always provide it.

It is such a wonderful experience to sponsor a child in need and get to know them a little through correspondence. I have been so blessed by the letters I have received. I write to encourage them, but often  find their letters encouraging me. I pray for them and their families and they pray for me and mine. I love that Compassion provides the basic needs for these children, but most of all it is so good to hear my sponsored kids talk about the Lord and what he has done for them through this program.

I hope to encourage anyone who has been thinking of sponsorship and hasn't taken that final step. Pray about it and maybe God will speak to you and bless you with a needy child. You won't regret it...I never have. :)


Here is a link to their website: Compassion International

"She extends her hand to the poor, Yes, she reaches out her hands to the needy." Proverbs 31:20

"Jesus said: ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’ Matt 25:40




1 comment:

  1. Cathy - Thanks for stopping by today! I just love the ministry of Compassion and am so grateful to be a part of it in some small way. It's good to connect with another sponsor!

    Brooke

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to leave your own thoughts in the comments. I try to respond to all of them by the end of the week. : )