October 1, 2012

Love's Reckoning

I took my time reading this one. Like a Francine Rivers or Liz Curtis Higgs novel, you just have to enjoy every exquisitely written sentence.

It's 1785 and Eden, (love that name!), is part of a messed up family. Liege Lee, a blacksmith father who drinks to much, a sister, Elspeth, who is conniving and down right mean, a sweet little brother and a mother who is just trying to survive them all.

Then enters Silas, the new apprentice to her father.

According to tradition the apprentice is to marry one of the daughters of his master.

Eden is a gentle spirit, while her sister is used to getting what she wants.

Eden is selfless and has a strong desire to know the Lord and His Word, which has been made difficult by her fathers distaste for the church and his ban of the Bible in their home.

Elspeth on the other hand is self-centered and vengeful. As the story progressed I disliked her more and more! I loved that the book ends on a cliff hanger in regards to her though! What will she do next?

Within the novel, a beautiful love story unfolds, but not without tragedy and heart-wrenching pain. I could easily see this on the big screen. Oh how I would love to see this story on the big screen! : )

The author, Laura Frantz, starts each chapter with a quote. I love this! Liz Curtis Higgs does this as well and it always amazes me, the thought and research they put into each one and how it relates to the chapter. As a quote lover, I so appreciate this.

Here's a few I especially loved. They will give you a little glimpse of what's to come in their proceeding chapters.

"Let honesty be as the breath of thy soul."                                           
                                                 Benjamin Franklin

"Fear not for the future, weep not for the past."
                                                                Percy Bysshe Shelley

"One sickly sheep infects the flock. and poisons all the rest." 
                                                                                       Issac Watts

"Change indeed is painful; yet ever needful."
                                                       Thomas Carlyle

"And then comes a mist and a weeping rain, and life is never the same again."
                George MacDonald

"The music in my heart I bore. Long after it was heard no more." 
                                                                                  William Wordsworth

"Never think that God's delays are God's denials."
                                                                         Comte De Buffon

This was the beginning of a beautifully moving saga and I don't know how I'm going to wait till next fall to read the next instalment. I can't wait to learn more of the tales of this family!

Buy it HERE on Amazon







4 comments:

  1. Oh intrigued.

    Thanks for linking up this week!

    Marissa
    http://forfunreadinglist.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review, Cathy! I LOVED this one, too!

    I really like how Laura included a quote at the beginning of each chapter -- definitely a nice touch. : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cathy, Bless you for crafting such a beautiful review! I feel so blessed to have you here. Many, many thanks.

    p.s. more quotes coming...:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Laura! Nice to hear from you. Looking forward to your next book and more quotes! :)

      Delete

Feel free to leave your own thoughts in the comments. I try to respond to all of them by the end of the week. : )