December 29, 2018

10 Great Reads of 2018


My goal for 2018 was once again to read 50 books, and I just made it!

I tried to participate in the Tim Challies Reading Challenge but only got 7 of the 13 books I chose, read. Hopefully I can get to the others in 2019!

Here were my picks for the 2018 Tim Challies Challenge with a check mark in front of the ones I finished:

1. A book by a female author -  'None Like Him' by Jen Wilkin

  2. A biography - 'Jane Austen: A Life' by Claire Tomalin

3. A book by your favorite author - 'Miracles' by C.S. Lewis

4. A book more than 100 years old - 'Crime and Punishment' by Fyodor Dostoyevsky

5. A classic novel - 'Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde' by Robert Louis Stevenson

  6. A book about history - 'Mysteries of the Middle Ages' by Thomas Cahill 

  7. A book you have read before - 'Pride and Prejudice' by Jane Austen

 8. A book about Christian living - 'This is Our Time' by Trevin Wax

9. A novel longer than 300 pages - 'The Snow Child' by Eowyn Ivey

 10. A memoir or autobiography - 'The Emancipation of Robert Sadler' by Marie Chapian and Robert Sadler

 11. A book about theology - 'The God Who is There' by Francis A. Schaeffer

12.  A book of 100 pages or less - 'Mary' by Leonardo De Chirico

13. A book of your choice - 'Elizabeth and her German Garden' by Elizabeth von Arnim


I also enjoyed reading more classic novels and would like to continue doing that this coming year.

I finally finished the Anne of Green Gables series with the last 5 books. Some were better than others, but I'd have to say my favorites were the first and last books, 'Anne of Green Gables' and 'Rilla of Ingleside.'

Here are the rest of the classics I read:

Wives and Daughters by Elizabeth Gaskell
Hard Times by Charles Dickens
Black Beauty by Anna Sewall
Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde by Robert Louis Stevenson 
Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoyevsky


Now onto my favorite reads of 2018...


None Like Him by Jen Wilkin -  I really loved this book! It talks about the attributes of God and how knowing how He is different from us, gives us a greater hope in Him. 

You can read my thoughts on this book ... HERE




I Can Only Imagine by Bart Millard - I've always loved the song 'I Can Only Imagine' and I really enjoyed reading Bart's story of how he came to write it. The movie is also very good!

You can read my thoughts on the book ... HERE





Respectable Sins by Jerry Bridges - This book talks about the sins we often sweep under the carpet and excuse because 'everyone does them.' Sins such as unthankfulness, discontentment and gossip.

You can read my thoughts on this book... HERE





Wives and Daughters by Elizabeth Gaskell - This is definitely a new favorite! A story with a bit of a Cinderella feel to it, as well as great writing, which made it an enjoyable read.





Here I Stand by Roland H. Bainton -  This was a long one, but very interesting. It's a biography of Martin Luther, the German monk who changed history by speaking out about the abuses of the church of the time. Martin Luther was not perfect, he had his flaws, but God always uses flawed people to show us who He is. A gracious God. A caring God. And a truthful God. 





Defining Deception by Costi Hinn and Anthony Wood - This book deals with some of the deceptions within the church today. Costi is the nephew of the well-known erroneous teacher Benny Hinn, and though he loves his uncle, he lays out the falsehoods he teaches. This book also deals with the false teachings within the prosperity gospel, Bethel Redding and the New Apostolic Reformation, also known as the NAR. 

You can read my thoughts on this book... HERE

Also if you are interested this is Costi's testimony... HERE





All Things Wise and Wonderful by James Herriot - I'm really enjoying this 5 book memoir series of a Yorkshire country vet during the early 20th century. This one, which is book 3, is particularly funny and I am loving all the endearing characters. 

Note: There is some mild language in these books, but other than that, so far they are clean reads.





Jane Austen at Home by Lucy WorsleyThis was a wonderful book on Jane's life. I love Jane Austen's novels and really enjoy reading about her. So this was a real treat.

You can read my thoughts ... HERE





Miracles by C.S. Lewis -  This was another great read from C.S. Lewis. His thoughts were so deep and he always gives me something to ponder. I actually listened to this one on audio and had a hard time remembering everything I wanted to. I do have a copy of the book and intend to read it again so I can underline some of his profound thoughts.




Earth Psalms by Francine Rivers - This was such a beautifully written book. It consisted of 52 devotionals to reflect on each week of the year.

You can read my thoughts ... HERE






Happy reading in 2019 and have a blessed New Year!





22 comments:

  1. Thanks for your reviews. I got some great ideas from you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed them! Thanks for stopping by Sheila!

      Delete
  2. Thank you so much for sharing all of these. I definitely want to find the book "Earth Psalms". It sounds wonderful! Happy Reading in 2019!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a beautiful book. Hope you enjoy it! Glad you stopped by Cheryl. : )

      Delete
  3. I have None Like Him on my bookshelf and am planning to read it soon. I love Jen's writing. I need to read Respectable Sins some time. I loved Wives and Daughters!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. None Like Him was so good and I'm looking forward to reading more from Jen! Thanks for stopping by Barbara.

      Delete
  4. I read the first volume of James Herriot, All Things Bright & Beautiful, aloud to my 13 yr old daughter this year & we both enjoyed it so much & had plenty of laughs. I’ve been on a C.S. Lewis re-read but Miracles isn’t one I’ve read. Thanks for the reviews.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just finished the James Herriot 5 book series. It was so good! Fell in love with all the people in his stories! Thanks for stopping by Carol!

      Delete
  5. Oh what a gorgeous website! Your opening photograph is simply beautiful.

    Thanks for a bunch of new-to-me reads. So fun to visit from Sue's place this morning ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by Linda! Hope you found your next read here. : )

      Delete
  6. Thanks so much for the great reviews! It's always so fascinating to read the booklists of others... you have some beauties right there! 😊 Stopping by from #LetsHaveCoffee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love seeing what others are reading too. Thanks for stopping by Laura. : )

      Delete
  7. Wow! Quite the list! And a great variety too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the great list of books, old and new. Wide variety with depth to many. Glad I stopped in.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I saw the movie "I Can Only Imagine", and read "All Things Wise and Wonderful" many years ago. I have read many C.S. Lewis books but don't recall "Miracles" so I will look for it. I try to read a mix of genres and authors also.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Miracles was great, but very in-depth, so I need to read it again! Thanks for stopping by Aletha.

      Delete
  10. These look great! Thanks for sharing this at Booknificent Thursday at Mommynificent.com! :)
    Tina

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to leave your own thoughts in the comments. I try to respond to all of them by the end of the week. : )