December 9, 2017

Christmas Books in December


I'm reading several Christmas books this month and really enjoying them. They are all quick reads, under 200 pages in length. It's always fun to read Christmas books during December, they bring that nostalgic feel back into our lives, as well as reminding us of why we celebrate Christmas.




                                                            Hidden Christmas by Timothy Keller



This book is putting me in the true Christmas spirit. It's funny how we think we know enough about God and about the Christmas story, when in fact there is so much more to know about Him. And I love that He continually shows us more of Himself through His Word each time we open and read it.

Each Christmas is a reminder of the gospel message. A Savior has been born!

Timothy Keller says here:

"The Bible..speaks of this: 'I have hidden your word in my heart' (Psalm 119:11). Taking the message into my heart means not just to interpret it but to let it affect me deeply. It means, in a sense, preaching to myself, reminding myself of the preciousness, the value, the wonder, and the power of the particular truth I am treasuring. 

It is to ask myself questions: 'How would my life be different if I really believed this from the bottom of my heart? How would it change my thinking, feelings, actions? How would it change my relationships? How would it change my prayer life, my feelings and attitude toward God?"

When we hide His Word in our hearts He reveals more of His love, His grace, His compassion, His faithfulness, His peace, His joy. This book shares some of these truths about God and points us back to His Word. I love it when books do that.

About the Book: "This book takes readers on an illuminating journey into the surprising background of the nativity. By understanding the message of hope and salvation within the Bible’s account of Jesus’ birth, readers will experience the redeeming power of God’s grace in a deeper and more meaningful way."



                                                           The Christmas Mouse by Miss Read



This book is so cozy and Christmasy! It's set in an little town in England, in the early 1970's. The story includes two little girls who are 5 and 7, born in 1966 and 1968, who live with their mother and grandmother, Mrs. Berry.

I love how this author brings out all the beauty and excitement of Christmas. This tugged on my heartstrings and brought back memories of Christmas's past as a child. I was born in 1968 and my little sister in 1970 and I remember how exciting Christmas was for us. You never really forget this feeling, it so special.

About the Book: "Mrs. Berry is frightened by a mouse and goes downstairs to sit-out the stormy Christmas Eve. While cozily by the loungeroom fire, she is disturbed yet again. This time the intruder proves to be a young run-away boy."



                                                                           The Expected One



This is a 25-day advent devotional written with young families in mind. Each devotional has a passage of scripture from the Old Testament pointing to Christ, as well as a very short devotional. The following page is several questions and thoughts to ponder as a family.

I'm really enjoying the reflections each devotional brings and believe it can be read by anyone for encouragement.

In the introduction it says:

"The Old Testament passages laid out here are meant to guide you through the wide range of promises God gave us regarding His Son... all of them point to Jesus, collectively unfolding the promises of His long-awaited coming, His marvelous birth, His blameless life, His agonizing death, his glorious resurrection, and His reign as the eternal king of all."

About the Book: "Through this devotional, Scott James brings to light the many promises of Christ from birth to ascension that demonstrate His love for us during this Christmas season. These daily devotions, which are designed for both family and individual use, are timeless and moving reminders of the true gift of Christmas."



                                                              The Shoe Box by Francine Rivers

 

I've loved so many books written by Francine Rivers. I'm just getting into this one and enjoying it so far.

Sprinkled throughout the story are recipes and short reflections on her own families Christmas's, which I'm finding, brings a richness to this reading experience, as well as making me want to do some Christmas baking!

About the Book: "In this beautiful gift book, Francine Rivers tells a poignant Christmas story about a foster child, Timmy, and his very special shoe box. Includes special notes from the author about the story and her family’s Christmas traditions and recipes."



23 comments:

  1. New friend of mine,
    I thank you heartily for the lovely comment you left on ~ My little old world ~, I appreciate it so much and let me say that you've such a wonderful blog !
    Since I cannot live without reading, and I love reading book in English, even if I'm Italian, I'm going to follow you with much joy, thank you!

    Hugs

    XOXO Daniela

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank-you for your kind comment Daniela! I'm following you back. Glad you stopped by! : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've heard about The Shoe Box but just got it on a Kindle deal recently. Maybe I'll get it in before the end of the year. One of my favorites, read multiple times, is Come Thou Long Expected Jesus compiled by Nancy Guthrie. It's made up of essays or parts of sermons from people as long ago as Augustine and as recent as Keller.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 'The Shoe Box' is quit short so you shouldn't have any trouble finishing it. 'Come Thou Long Expected Jesus' sounds wonderful! I will have to try and find it for December reading next year.

      Delete
  4. the one by Tim Keller looks really good to me. Can't wait to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was so good! Hope you enjoy it. Thanks for stopping by Amy. : )

      Delete
  5. This is one year where I haven't given much thought to reading Christmas books in December.. I guess I just had so many on my nightstand leftover from November that I just kept right on reading my way through them and lost all track of time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you enjoy whatever you read this month. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  6. Ooh "The Expected One" looks like something right up my alley! Thanks for the recommendations!I'm always on the lookout! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would be great to read with children. Hope you enjoy it! Glad you stopped by Rachel. : )

      Delete
  7. This is great! I was just wondering where to go for my next read!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for these reviews. The Mouse one sounds beautiful. We had some beautiful childhood Christmases at my Grandma and Grandad's growing up that I will never forget. Now I have my own little ones - 5 and 7 - but the sad thing in the Netherlands is that Christmas is pressed out of the limelight by Saint Nicholas (5th December).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 'The Christmas Mouse' was very sweet. My husband and his family are dutch and so I know all about St. Nicholas! I prefer Christmas though. Celebrating Christ's birth is so much more meaningful. Thanks for stopping by and sharing Anna! : )

      Delete
  9. What a rich and beautiful collection! I love reading special books about Christmas this time of year!

    ReplyDelete
  10. wonderful list! i just re-opened Walt Wangerin;s In the Days of the Angels - such a gifted storyteller.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't heard of this book. Just looked it up and it looks like something I'd enjoy. Thanks for the recommendation Sue!

      Delete
  11. Lots to check out! Thanks so much for sharing it with us.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a wonderful addition to Literacy Musing Mondays and my book wishlist!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for sharing at Booknificent Thursday on Mommynificent.com!
    Tina

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to leave your own thoughts in the comments. I try to respond to all of them by the end of the week. : )