October 3, 2011

ask Billy Graham

I don't think I've ever met anyone who didn't like Billy Graham.  I think its because he is real in his faith and has always lived simply and humbly. I really enjoyed reading this book which is full of compiled quotes from Billy Graham. Each chapter focuses on one subject and quotes that coincide. Here are some that stood out to me and why I love Billy Graham.

On Himself:  Do you view yourself as a righteous person?
"I think I'm just a sinner saved by the grace of God"

On Heaven: What will you say to Jesus when you reach heaven?
"Why me? I don't deserve to be in heaven. I am a sinner. I deserve hell because I am just a sinner. But I have been saved by the grace of God through Christ. He took my sins on the cross and he died for me. You can imagine he had the most terrible sins placed upon him and he bore them because he loved us. The thought of that overwhelms me--how constant is the love and the mercy and the grace of God."

Do you ever have moments of doubt about going to heaven?
"If I were depending on myself, I would have lots of doubts, I really would, but I'm depending on Scripture. I'm not going to heaven because I'm good. I'm not going to heaven because I preached to a lot of people. I'm going to heaven because of God's grace and mercy in Christ on the cross."


On Morality: Unlike some other high-profile evangelists, you have managed to resist temptation and stay on the straight and narrow. To what do you attribute your success?
"From the very beginning of my career, I was frightened--I still am--that I would do something to dishonor the Lord."

On our relationship with God: Some people think they can hide from God, that He doesn't notice their sins. What do you say to these people?
"Adam and Eve hid in the trees of the garden...but you can't hide from God. Don't try to run from God, run towards God."

What one thing is always certain about God?
"If there's one thing Christians can be sure of, it's that God loves us. We've broken God's laws, yet He loves us."

On seeking God: How can we survive judgment day?
"Sometimes judgment is strange and sudden. There's an escape. There's a way out. It's so easy. God didn't say, 'do great things.' He said, 'Repent and believe."

On prayer: What is the greatest form of prayer?
"I believe that the greatest form of prayer is praise to God."


On the life of Jesus Christ: In your opinion, what was Jesus Christ's ultimate purpose in life?
"He fed the poor. He healed the sick, raised the dead, but that was not his purpose. His purpose was to go to the cross."

Although Jesus was only on the earth for a short time, how would you describe his notoriety?
"Jesus is the best known person that ever lived. He did more in the thirty-three years that he lived than all the rest of the leaders in history put together. He stood up in front of all the people who stood mocking him, murdering him, and he said, 'I forgive them.' He said that to the whole world. He said, 'I love you."

On sermons: What is the main message of all your sermons?
"The message is Christ, and him crucified. I don't see any other hope."


On Humor: Billy Graham's response  when asked by a cynic how he knew God existed:
"Well, that's an easy one...because I spoke with Him this morning." 

 I have to agree with Billy Graham...I am just a sinner, who is loved beyond my imagination by my gracious Savior who died on a cross and rose again for me.

There are so many other great quotes in this book but these ones summed up for me who Billy Graham really is...a humble man of God.


Buy it HERE on Amazon


3 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing, Cathy! Have a blessed day!

    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have a wonderful blog!! Following now from over @ GoodReads!
    http://anovelexperience2011.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Trema, Welcome! Thanks for stopping by and following. I'll follow your blog too. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to leave your own thoughts in the comments. I try to respond to all of them by the end of the week. : )