February 16, 2016

The Headmistress of Rosemere


I listened to this novel on audio, which I found to be enriched by the lovely voice of English narrator,  Henrietta Meire. It truly made the novel that much more enjoyable.

Patience, after the death of her father, the absents of her brother, and the melancholy of her mother, finds herself in charge of the girl's school at Rosemere. She feels she has found God's calling on her life as headmistress.

William is the master of Eastmore Hall, a trouble man with a past full of sins and mistakes, who needs to grow up and take responsibility for his home and estate before he loses it all.

It was nice to see these characters grow and mature and fall in love.

This novel, with it's beautiful writing, also had many other characters intertwined in Patience's and William's story. Reminding me of the works of Jane Austen, Charlotte Bronte and Charles Dickens in this regard. I felt their influence throughout, which made me appreciate this gentle and telling story even more.

I also loved the setting of the moors of England. Such a beautiful place and a wonderful backdrop for this story of past and present in the lives of Patience and William. Every time I read of these great moors, it makes me want to visit. So lovely!




This is book two in a series of three, but is easily read as a stand alone. I highly recommend it to 19th century literary fiction lovers.



Buy it HERE on Amazon


11 comments:

  1. Cathy,

    Thanks for this review; it does sound like a lovely read...may have to add it to my wish list :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoyed the review. Thanks for sharing it on Tuesday Talk linkup today. I'll be featuring in my book review features next week so do stop back and see. Interesting read. Look forward to adding it to my list.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved this book! I haven't really done much listening to audio books. I'll have to give it a try. I hope you can stop by:

    http://collettaskitchensink.blogspot.com/2016/02/book-review-kissed-by-cowboy-by-debra.html

    Colletta

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not sure I've ever read an entire Sarah Ladd novel. Given all of the rave reviews her novels inspire, it would seem I'm missing out on a great story. :) Thanks for the great review, Cathy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have heard such good things about Sarah Ladd's books. I may have to check this one out. Thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like a lovely book. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the cover. Sounds good.

    Stopping by from Saturday Review of Books Linkup.

    I hope you are enjoying your day.

    Elizabeth
    Silver’s Reviews
    The Passenger by Lisa Lutz

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like a pleasant read. I can almost hear the audio actor's performance based on your description! Thanks for sharing at the #LMMLinkup.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank-you all for stopping by! It's a lovely read and to be able to listen to it while doing work around the house, was fun. Hope those who get a chance to read this novel, enjoy it. : )

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for sharing this with #TheCozyReadingSpot I love listening to audio books especially when they good a reader

    ReplyDelete
  11. I often find myself wishing I could read with a British accent when reading this type of book. I never about hunting down an audiobook with a British narrator. That's brilliant! Thanks for sharing this at Booknificent Thursday this week!
    Tina

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to leave your own thoughts in the comments. I try to respond to all of them by the end of the week. : )