February 13, 2017

A Celebration of Beatrix Potter


I have fond memories of reading Beatrix Potter, not only as a child, but also as a mother to my children. I just love her art and stories, which I find beautiful and timeless.

One of our favorite books to read together was 'The Tales of Tom Kitten.' It has a special place in our love of books and we even named our kitty after him! He looked so much like little Tom Kitten we just had to. : )



Here is our Tom when we first got him:





This book was so delightful! Filled with letters and art from artists who were influenced by Beatrix Potter.

All the artists painted a picture, as well as wrote a tribute to her work. One particular artist, Peter H. Reynolds, illustrated and wrote a letter that stood out to me.

His illustration was a tribute to Peter Rabbit:

"My mum , was born in London (as was Beatrix Potter!), gave me a copy of The Tale of Peter Rabbit when I was a young boy. I loved the watercolor illustrations and the small size of the book, and, of course, I was certain that I had some connection to this bunny named Peter. Perhaps we were related somehow. I could certainly relate to his curiosity-fueled mischievousness.  

I remember being truly panicked when Mr. McGregor was after him and felt badly for this naked, terrified, naughty bunny. When he got home - finally - he was put to bed with some medicinal tea. I always felt sad that poor Peter didn't get the best medicine: his mama's hug. I have a chance now to share that scene."

Here it is. So adorable...




The book also has snippets of Beatrix Potter's books as well as their pictures. So I thought I'd leave you with a few of her lovely water-colored paintings...














Buy it HERE on Amazon




8 comments:

  1. This is adorable. My kids, now teens and adults, I am sure would not appreciate it. But my grandbabies sure would!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My youngest (20) has them in her room! I don't think she reads them much anymore but they are special to her. : ) They are definitely books I want to share with my grandbabies someday too!

      Delete
  2. I just love the graphics! Thank you for sharing such a beautiful book with us.
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Beatrix Potter's stories and illustrations. My rowdy boys caused a stir at the library years and years ago with their love for The Fierce Bad Rabbit -- Potter's not-very-politically-correct story about a hunter with a gun. Oh, well . . .

    ReplyDelete
  4. So Sweet! I love the letter you shared! Thank you so much for sharing this at Booknificent Thursday on Mommynificent.com this week!
    Tina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really enjoyed all the artists stories, art and reflections on their favorite Beatrix Potter books!

      Thanks for stopping by Tina!

      Delete

Feel free to leave your own thoughts in the comments. I try to respond to all of them by the end of the week. : )