October 20, 2019

A Few Thoughts on the Book of Matthew


My Bible's introduction to the book of Matthew says here:

"Matthew is the gospel written by a Jew to Jews about a Jew. Matthew is the writer, his countrymen are the readers, and Jesus Christ is the subject. Matthew's design is to present Jesus as the King of the Jews, the long-awaited Messiah. Through a carefully selected series of Old Testament quotations, Matthew documents Jesus Christ's claim to be the Messiah. His genealogy, baptism, messages, and miracles all point to the same inescapable conclusion: Christ is King. Even in His death, seeming defeat is turned to victory by the Resurrection, and the message again echoes forth: the King of the Jews lives."
In the gospels, the words of Jesus always pierce my soul. His life, here on earth, moves me every time. When I get to his betrayal, beatings and crucifixion, I am always overwhelmed by His love, even though I've read and heard it hundreds of times before.

As the introduction states, Matthew focuses on Jesus as King. This leads me to a few things that happen to Peter in this book that point us to this.

In chapter 14 verse 25 Jesus is walking on water towards a boat the disciples are in. They are troubled when they see Him, but then Jesus says:  

'Be of good cheer! It is I; do not be afraid.'

Peter than questions Jesus and says;  

'Lord, if it is You, command me to come to You on the water.'

Jesus calls: 'Come' 

Peter than gets out of the boat and starts walking on the water towards Jesus.

But when he takes his eyes off of Jesus, and looks around at the sea and wind, he is afraid and begins to sink. Calling out, 'Lord, save me!'

Jesus stretches out His hand and catches him, but also reprehends him saying, 'O you of little faith, why did you doubt?'

This story shows us our need for the Lord in all things, that we are weak, but He is strong. Peter's faith was weak because it was based on faith in himself as a 'good' follower of Jesus.

But Jesus is teaching Him to put his faith in Him alone. To look at Him and nothing else.

Later during the last supper, Jesus tells the disciples in chapter 26 verse 31-35:  

'All of you will be made to stumble because of Me this night, for it is written: 

'I will strike the Shepherd, and the sheep of the flock will be scattered.' (Zech. 13:7)'

Peter, in his stubborn faith in his own feelings and thoughts, says:

'Even if all are made to stumble because of You, I will never be made to stumble.' 

Jesus answered him:

'Assuredly, I say to you that this night, before the rooster crows, you will deny Me three times.'

Again Peter is defiant and says:

'Even if I have to die with You, I will not deny You!'

Peter isn't listening. Instead, he is arguing with the King of Kings!

We know that, that night Peter denied knowing Jesus three times.

This is what we do when we don't have our faith totally in Him and instead insist on believing our own feelings and thoughts and so putting our faith in ourselves.

This is not being a true follower of Christ.

Jesus asks us to have faith in Him alone.

Jesus loved Peter.

He was patient with him and kind. Jesus knew Peter was open to learning and growing in Him. He knew Peter would come to a place of surrender and a strong faith in Him alone.

Jesus is the same with us. If we humble ourselves before Him he is just in forgiving us our sins, patient in our growth and kind with our mistakes.

But He is adamant that our faith is in Him alone. Why? Because He is King. The King who loves us.




I'll leave you with this beautiful quote from Charles Spurgeon:

"My hope lives not because I am not a sinner, but because I am a sinner for whom Christ died; my trust is not that I am holy, but that being unholy, HE is my righteousness. My faith rests not upon what I am or shall be or feel or know, but in what Christ is, in what He has done, and in what He is now doing for me. Hallelujah!"



14 comments:

  1. Cathy,
    I always enjoy reading what stands out to others in the Gospels. We all have those "ah-ha" moments. Thanks for sharing some of yours here. Love the quote by Charles Spurgeon...praise for what Christ has done!
    Blessings,
    Bev xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the beauty of reading Scripture, something new stands out each time you read it! Thanks for stopping by Bev!

      Delete
  2. It really helps me when I'm reading through the Gospels to remember the author's primary purpose in portraying Jesus. I read through the Gospels chronologically this year, and it was a true blessing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really enjoy reading good commentary on Scripture because it helps with seeing the theme and purpose of that book. Glad you enjoyed your study of the Gospels!

      Delete
  3. Love the Charles Spurgeon quote!The stories in the Gospels become familiar and yet, we always see something new which moves me to want to grow more deeply in Christ.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been studying in Luke for quite some time now, so this is right up my alley! Thank you for giving us so much great insight and direction on this gospel. And I love the quote by Spurgeon too. Thanks for sharing, Cathy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so glad that God sees our potential and keeps pushing us to deepen our relationship with him!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes he molds us into who He made us to be! Thankful He doesn't give up on us. : )

      Delete
  6. Peter has always been an interesting study, Jesus warned him about the enemy, there is a lesson there as we step out of our boats, we have to keep looking to Him, or get sifted or even sink. I have been too hard on Peter at times but learned from his story too. Receiving power in Acts made a difference. And his wife was even martyred under Nero. we have a lot of history a cloud of witnesses behind us to be sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Peter. He is so relatable, and brings hope to those of us who are strong-willed! God is good and I find His love and patience is shown more plainly through people like Peter. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  7. I"m so grateful to know how much Jesus loved Peter!

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to leave your own thoughts in the comments. I try to respond to all of them by the end of the week. : )