November 24, 2019

Some Christmas Reads for 2019


Reading books about Christmas, during December, has been something I've really been enjoying the past few years.

Here are few I'm hoping to get to this season.




Oh Come All Ye Faithful by John MacArthur, Joni Eareckson Tada, Robert & Bonnie Wolgemuth

This book in filled with reflections on some wonderful Christmas Carols. Carols such as, O Come, O Come Emmanuel, Angel We have Heard on High and Silent Night!, Holy Night!

I'm excited to read this one, as I love Christmas carols!




Christmas - A Gift for Every Heart by Charles Stanley

This book shares the Christmas story with these lessons:
  • True peace and joy are found only in Christ, not in the things of this world;
  • Christmas itself is undeniable evidence that God always keeps His promises;
  • The Lord God not only lives and reigns, but He is intimately involved in every circumstance of our lives; and
  • The perfect gift for us to give Jesus is the gift of our own heart.




Family Christmas Treasures: Celebration of Art and Stories by Various

This is such a pretty book! It's filled with beautiful art by artists like Norman Rockwell, Eastman Johnson and Thomas Birch, as well as many others. It is also filled with Christmas stories from authors like Betty Smith, Louisa May Alcott and Harriet Beecher Stowe.

I'm looking forward to reading a few of these this season.




Finding Christ in Christmas by A.W. Tozer

This is a short advent devotional compelled of Tozer's writings on why Jesus came. I always enjoy reading Tozer and excited for this December read.








Note: Painting above: 'Stockbridge Main Street at Christmas' by Norman Rockwell


26 comments:

  1. These are great suggestions, and I totally agree that there are special books that make for good Christmas reading.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The book about Christmas Carols is calling to me. Thanks for the suggested Christmas reading!
    Blessings,
    Bev xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just finished it and enjoyed it! Thanks for stopping by Bev!

      Delete
  3. I read the Tozer book last year. He's always good for making one think deeply. The Family Christmas Treasures book sounds like it would be lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Family Christmas Treasures sounds like something I'd like.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've read a few stories from it and especially loved the one by Harriet Beecher Stowe!

      Delete
  5. What a great collection of books! We love Stockbridge and I've always loved that iconic Christmas painting.

    The Family Christmas Treasures book looks great! Louisa May Alcott is actually in my family's tree!

    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow that's cool about Louisa May Alcott! I love this painting too!

      Delete
  6. Great selection here. I used to always purchase a new Christmas book, but don't have the finances to do it now. THat Tozer advent devotion would be a great read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean. I use my library quit a bit! Thanks for stopping by Mandy!

      Delete
  7. These all look like great books! Thanks for the recommendations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So far I'm really enjoying them! Glad you stopped by!

      Delete
  8. I love festive reads! Visiting you from the LMM link up. laurensparks.net

    ReplyDelete
  9. wow - a new to me Tozer read - thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you Cathy, I didn't know about the Tozer Christmas read!
    Thank you!

    You're most welcome to join me in a cuppa at Tea With Jennifer,
    Bless you,
    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  11. I enjoy reading Tozer, too, and I haven’t heard of that title before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm looking forward to it! Thanks for stopping by Carol!

      Delete
  12. I love the look of the book telling the story behind the Christmas Carols. Thanks for this great list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a good book! Thanks for stopping by Christine!

      Delete
  13. oh, you had me with that Norman Rockwell painting at the top of the page.

    beautiful!

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to leave your own thoughts in the comments. I try to respond to all of them by the end of the week. : )