November 18, 2019

Reflections on the Psalms


In this book, C.S. Lewis shares his thoughts and reflections on the book of Psalms. I've always liked, that through his writings or talks, Lewis gets us thinking, and by so, showing us the way to Jesus. This book is no exception. It will get you thinking on some heavy topics.

For example in chapter four, he talks about death in the Psalms and how it's Jewish poets thought on it and expressed it through their poetry. Lewis reminds us of the nations around Israel (such as Egypt) that were often obsessed with the afterlife and how he felt God didn't want them, or us for that matter, to be as concerned.

Here is what he says of it:

"Is it possible for men to be to much concerned with their eternal destiny? In one sense, paradoxical though it sounds, I should reply, Yes.

For the truth seems to me to be that happiness or misery beyond death, simply in themselves, are not even religious subjects at all. A man who believes in them will of course be prudent to seek the one and avoid the other. but that seems to have no more to do with religion than looking after one's health or saving money for one's old age. 

The only difference here is that the stakes are so very much higher. 

And this means that, granted a real and steady conviction, the hopes and anxieties aroused are overwhelming. But they are not on that account the more religious. They are hopes for oneself, anxieties for oneself. God is not the center. He is still important only for the sake of something else. Indeed such a belief can exist without a belief in God at all. Buddhists are much concerned with what will happen to them after death, but are not, in a true sense, Theists.

It is surely, therefore, very possible that when God began to reveal Himself to men, to show them that He and nothing else is their true goal and the satisfaction of their needs, and that He has a claim upon them simply by being what He is, quite apart from anything He can bestow or deny, it may have been absolutely necessary that this revelation should not begin with any hint of future Beatitude or Perdition. 

These are not the right points to begin at. An effective belief in them, coming too soon, may even render almost impossible the development of ( so to call it) the appetite for God; personal hopes and fears, too obviously exciting, have got in first. Later, when, after centuries of spiritual training, men have learned to desire and adore God, to pant after Him 'as pants the hart', it is another matter. For then those who love God will desire not only to enjoy Him but 'to enjoy Him forever', and will fear to lose Him."             Pgs. 45-47

It's easy to get caught up in the hope of heaven, which is a gift, and end up turning it into an idol. When instead, we should be desiring the gift-giver, God Himself.

As Christians, we should look to the Lord and rejoice in who He is.

And desire to enjoy Him forever.


"Though the fig tree should not blossom,
nor fruit be on the vines,
the produce of the olive fail
and the fields yield no food,
the flock be cut off from the fold
and there be no herd in the stalls,

yet I will rejoice in the LORD;
I will take joy in the God of my salvation." Habakkuk 3:18



"It will be said on that day,
“Behold, this is our God; we have waited for him, that he might save us.
This is the LORD; we have waited for him;
let us be glad and rejoice in his salvation.” Isaiah 25:9



"May all who seek you
rejoice and be glad in you!
May those who love your salvation
say evermore, “God is great!” Psalm 70:4



Rejoice in the Lord always. Again I will say, rejoice! Philippians 4:4




Buy it HERE on Amazon

12 comments:

  1. I have read some of Lewis' books, but not this one. The Psalms are one of my favorite books in the Bible! I love the verses you shared. I need to learn to be more mindful of the Lord throughout the hours of my days. Thanks so much for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lewis is one of my favorites! Hope you get to this one of his. Thanks for stopping by Cheryl!

      Delete
  2. Thanks for sharing this book review. I have yet to read any of C. S. Lewis's works which I need to remedy!

    I've been reflecting much on the flow of the Psalms and my own prayer life. This book looks like a great addition to further my thoughts on the Psalms.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was an interesting read. I highly recommend Lewis's books! Thanks for stopping by. : )

      Delete
  3. Cathy ... what a combination - C.S. Lewis and that beautiful book of Psalms. I'm currently making my way through that book, in no hurry, just savoring the truth of God's Word.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the Psalms too! Glad you stopped by Linda!

      Delete
  4. Thank you for sharing about this book! I confess that it's easy for me to mistake the prize--heaven vs. eternal relationship with God. This book sounds like the perfect reminder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that God continues to remind us of these things! He is good! Glad you stopped by!

      Delete
  5. I must confess that I have not yet read C.S. Lewis, but it sounds like a good thing to do over the Christmas break. Thanks for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I highly recommend his books. I've enjoy many of them and he has become a favorite author for me. Happy reading and thanks for stopping by Suzette!

      Delete
  6. I was not familiar with this book but I'm adding it to my wish list as I want to think more deeply about the Psalms in 2020.

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to leave your own thoughts in the comments. I try to respond to all of them by the end of the week. : )