March 23, 2020

What I'm Currently Reading


Happy Spring everyone!

Here the sun has been shining and the flowers are starting to come up, which has helped with the stress of what is going on in the world. God is good.

I've been reading some interesting books and thought I'd share about them here today.



Jesus, Keep Me Near the Cross Edited by Nancy Guthrie

Since Easter is around the corner I've started this one. It's a compilation of short chapters on the Easter story by Christians leaders from the past and present. Christians like Charles Spurgeon, John Piper, J.I Packer, Martin Luther, Timothy Keller and Jonathon Edwards.

Each chapter is full of great wisdom and gives you something to think about deeply, towards the cross.

Here's a quote from Alistair Begg's chapter titled, 'An Innocent Man Crushed by God':

"Here's the gospel in a phase. Because Christ died for us, those who trust in him may know that their guilt has been pardoned once and for all. 

What will we have to say before the bar of God's judgment? Only one thing. Christ died in my place. That's the gospel." Pg. 25



The Life of Charlotte Bronte by Elizabeth Gaskell
 
I'm not to far into this one yet, but enjoying it so far. Elizabeth Gaskells writing is beautiful, even in biography form! Charlotte and Elizabeth were friends which makes this book even more lovely.

The first chapter starts out with a description of the parsonage, church and yard, where the Bronte's lived and were laid to rest. Here their tombstones are, sharing their short, but impactful lives that have touched so many.

I'm looking forward to continuing with this one.




The Imitation of Christ by Thomas A Kempis

This book has some beautiful and thought-provoking quotes. It was written in the 13th century and therefore needs to be read through the lens of that period of the church.

It's amazing though how throughout time the basic faith of Christians and their love of God, hasn't changed.

Here are a few beautiful quotes:

"A lover of Jesus and of the truth, and a true inward Christian, and one free from inordinate affections, can freely turn himself unto God, and lift himself above himself in spirit, and with joy remain at rest." Pg. 107

"To be without Jesus is a grievous hell; and to be with Jesus, a sweet paradise." Pg. 124




The Dearly Beloved by Cara Wall

I'm only a few chapters into this novel, but really impressed by the writing and storytelling so far. It follows two couples who end up working and serving together at a Presbyterian church.

Goodreads says here of the novel:
 
"The Dearly Beloved follows these two couples through decades of love and friendship, jealousy and understanding, forgiveness and commitment. Against the backdrop of turbulent changes facing the city and the church’s congregation, these four forge improbable paths through their evolving relationships, each struggling with uncertainty, heartbreak, and joy. It's a poignant meditation on faith and reason, marriage and children, and the ways we find meaning in our lives."


So far it has introduced the four characters separately, touching on their home lives, as they enter their college years and how they first meet each other. 

One character has stood out to me so far, a young man who recently puts his faith in God and attends divinity school. His desire is to help and show the love of God to others, but has no desire to share the gospel story. This is starting out sadly, as we see this in so many pastors and churches today. Sacrificing the gospel, which brings life, in exchange for a feel good church.

I'm hoping this character grows in his faith and is moved by the power of the gospel, but because this book is not considered christian fiction I'm leery of its direction.

I'm looking forward to getting more into this one and routing for its characters.



13 comments:

  1. Oh you've got some good solid reading for us today! And this is the perfect season to have a stack of books close by, Cathy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've read Jesus, Keep Me Near the Cross several times and so enjoyed it. Thanks you for reminding me about The Life of Charlotte Bronte by Elizabeth Gaskell. I had seen it referred to somewhere, and I love what I have read of Gaskell's writing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you enjoy 'The Life of Charlotte Bronte' I'm not to far but liking it so far. Glad you enjoyed 'Jesus, Keep Me Near the Cross' I'm about half way through and loving it, trying to glean what i can from it. : )

      Delete
  3. Ooh! I like this list! I'm adding to my want-to-read board. I was blessed to hear Alistair Begg speak while in the Caymans, and I think this compilation looks very inspiring. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a great book so far! I hadn't heard of Alistair Begg before, but now I want to see what he has written. Glad you were able to see him speak. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  4. So much great variety in your reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I love having variety in my reading! Keeps me reading. : )

      Delete
  5. Always glad to see your lists. Thanks so much.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just finished off my last library book and will now have to turn to my Kindle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Missing my library, but looking forward to getting some audiobooks through my library app! Enjoy your Kindle reads!

      Delete
  7. Thanks for sharing this at Booknificent Thursday on Mommynificent.com! I always love to sneak a peek at what people are reading!
    Tina

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to leave your own thoughts in the comments. I try to respond to all of them by the end of the week. : )