August 10, 2011

Pompeii


I think I found a new favorite author! I really enjoyed reading this book. T. L. Higley not only captures the history of Pompeii and its people, but the history of the early Christians who met in secret, and the spiritual battle they faced. The story is fast paced and intriguing and I couldn't put it down.

The Romans who lived in Pompeii at that time were a very perverse people. They also were very class orientated. The Christians on the other hand were  kind, generous and didn't discriminate. The Roman hero of this story struggles with this, but later comes to terms with what the Bible really means when it says:

"There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither slave nor free, there is neither male nor female; for you are all one in Christ Jesus." Galatians 3:28


I love this. It doesn't matter what nationality you are, what kind of clothes you wear or what traditions you have. It doesn't matter if you are rich or poor, healthy or sick, female or male...through Christ we are all equal.


The Jewish heroine of the story escapes slavery by disguising herself as a boy to becomes a gladiator and the author brings you right into this world where men fight to the death for the entertainment of the crowds.


The destruction of the city by Mt. Vesuvius is vividly described in this book and in the authors notes it was interesting to find out how this eruption preserved so much and left us with a "frozen-in-time city to unearth." I think this would be such an interesting place to visit.


Having never read anything by this author before I am looking forward to more of her stories from the ancient world. Now to just choose which one to read next!

7 comments:

  1. It's on my to-read list...glad you liked it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful review, Cathy! I love how you included pictures. :)

    I really enjoyed this book, as well, and was quite moved by the ending. Higley's work is great, and I especially recommend her "7 Wonders" series. :) They're all so good, and I think she's working on the fourth book for that series now!

    ~Amber

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Charity and Amber. I definitely want to read all her books! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post, Cathy! Thanks for sharing your review. : )

    I haven't read this author before, but I enjoyed your review, and like Amber said, I really like how you included pictures. The book does sound very good!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Michelle! I'm a bit of a history buff so it was fun finding a great new writer whose books are set in ancient history. :)

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to leave your own thoughts in the comments. I try to respond to all of them by the end of the week. : )