December 30, 2019

10 Great Reads of 2019


My goal this year was to read 45 books and I just made it at the end of December, reading 48.

I have to admit my reading was a little disappointing this past year, but I was able to find 10 books which I really enjoyed and excited to share here.

I also read a few classics, and though none really stood out to me. I'm glad I read them.

They were:

Silas Marner by George Elliot - About a man who is misjudged and how a young baby girl left near his home changes his life. I felt this story was to short and skipped over a great part of his life where he raised the child. But it did include some thought provoking quotes.

Kristin Lavransdatter by Sigrid Undset- I really didn't like this book I'm sad to say. It was filled with Catholic imagery and superstitions from the Middle Ages, which didn't sit right with me. I'm so glad the Bible teaches we are saved by grace alone and not works, least we boast about them! What a blessing to be able to rest in the work Christ did for our salvation.

Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad - This was about the slave trade and was good, but a bit depressing as it talked of the darkness slavery entails.
.
Ethan Frome by Edith Wharton - This was my least favorite classic. Though a clean read it focused on adultery and I never enjoy reading about that.

The History of England by Jane Austen - This was a short novella written in her youth and was a bit silly, but it was fun to read something by a favorite author from her younger years.

I'm hoping to read more classics in 2020. Starting with Les Miserables, which I'm sure I will love!

And now onto my favorites of 2019:


Devoted by Tim Challies - This was about 11 godly men and the influence their mothers had on them.

Here is a link to my thoughts on the book... HERE



In His Image by Jen Wilkin - Loved this one just as much as her other book, 'None Like Him', which I included on my 2018 favorites list!



Reflections on the Psalms by C.S. Lewis - This was an interesting read filled with Lewis's thoughts on the book of Psalms.

Here is a link to my thoughts on the book... HERE



True Feelings by Carolyn Mahaney and her daughter, Nicole Whitacre - I really enjoyed this one. It teaches how to use our feelings, a gift God has given us, for good and for His glory.



Church History in Plain Language by Bruce L. Shelley - This one took me awhile to get through but was so good! I learnt a lot about the history of the church.

Here is a link to my thoughts on the book... HERE



Before We Were Yours by Lisa Wingate - This is one of the few fiction reads I really loved this year. It's about a family of children stolen from their home and taken to a Tennessee Children’s Home Society orphanage run by a corrupt woman named Georgia Tann. This was based on true events and was a very sad and emotional read.



God, Greed, and the (Prosperity) Gospel by Costi W. Hinn - Here Costi shares his experience within his Uncle Benny's ministry. Costi is very matter of fact and kind in his writing of this book, but I felt sad and frustrated with how many people are deceived and hurt by these kinds of ministries like his Uncle Benny Hinn's. Full of greed, false teachings and false hopes for money.



Just Mercy by Bryan Stevenson - This was a very eye-opening read. Bryan Stevenson is a lawyer who founded the Equal Justice Initiative, which helps those unjustly accused and imprisoned for crimes they didn't commit. Some as young as 13 years old. And many on death row. His compassion and commitment to helping the least of these was inspiring. I recently heard they are making a movie from this book, which I'm excited about.



All That's Good by Hannah Anderson - This book addresses the commands of Philippians 4:8...
 
"Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things." 


Here is a link to my thoughts on the book... HERE



Total Truth by Nancy Pearcey - I still think about the things I read in this book. I listened to it on audio and really need to get a copy of it so I can underline some profound and moving quotes. Her website says here of the book: "Nancy makes a passionate case that Christianity is not just religious truth but truth about total reality. It is total truth." 




                                                              Happy Reading to you all in 2020!




15 comments:

  1. I loved Before We Were Yours, though it was hard in some places and harder still to fathom that such things actually happened.

    I want to read Silas Marner some time as well as Jen Wilkin's other books. I've read her Women of the Word and have the other two, but haven't gotten to them yet.

    My top ten are here: https://barbarah.wordpress.com/2019/12/30/my-top-ten-books-of-2019/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping Barbara! Happy reading in 2020!

      Delete
  2. I read Heart of Darkness twice in the past 20 years and disliked it both times. ha. Too dark for me. I hope to read more classics in 2020. I didn't read any in 2019. I read Les Miserables a couple years back and although it had some slow parts, it was well worth the length! I loved Before We Were Yours too, altho yes, it was sad too. Just Mercy is one of my all-time favorite books! I am so looking forward to the movie coming out next week. Hope you find lots of good books in 2020!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looking forward to Les Mis! Hope you find some great reads for 2020 too!

      Delete
  3. okay I want that Devoted book. It's definitely going on my read list. It will be a good read to write about for the Legacy LInkUP. https://www.mandyandmichele.com/choose-old-paths-new-crossroads/ Coming to you from Purposeful Faith.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you enjoy it. Thanks for stopping by Mandy!

      Delete
  4. I love seeing your books ... especially since I just put up my own monthly post. So much out there to bless and encourage, calm and lift us up!

    So glad to run into you over at Mary's ....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will have to check out your list of favorites! Glad you stopped by!

      Delete
  5. Just Mercy sounds like one I will put on my list...hmm. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was really good. I listened to it on audio which I highly recommend doing. Thanks for stopping by Jennifer!

      Delete
  6. This sounds like a great list. I have heard Costi Hinn speak on the subject and it is heart-breaking!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is. I find it so sad to think of all the people deceived by the false 'prosperity' gospel. Thankful for those speaking out like Costi. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  7. I love reading people's book lists! Thanks for sharing yours at Booknificent Thursday on Mommynificent.com!
    Tina

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to leave your own thoughts in the comments. I try to respond to all of them by the end of the week. : )