December 9, 2019

Christmas Book Recommendations


Over the last few years I've enjoyed reading books focused on the Christmas story.

Here are a few I've loved and highly recommend...




C is for Christmas by David W. and Warren W. Wiersbe


I reviewed this book in a series of posts in 2012. Here are the links to those posts:

C is for Christmas - Part 1

C is for Christmas - Part 2

C is for Christmas - Part 3

C is for Christmas - Part 4

C is for Christmas - Part 5 

C is for Christmas - Part 6 

C is for Christmas - Part 7 

C is for Christmas - Part 8 



The Dawning of Indestructible Joy by John Piper


John Piper has a way of expressing the joy of the Lord that is rare in our world today. I always come away from his books with a deeper view of God and the true joy He freely gives. This book is a daily devotional, written for advent.

Here is a link to info and a short video  about the book... The Dawning of Indestructible Joy


Hidden Christmas by Timothy Keller


I was surprised at how much I loved this book. I was reminded of why the Christmas story never gets old. It's because it's really not a story at all. The birth of Christ was an historical event that changed my life and the lives of many others. An event that will affect eternity.

Born in a manger, the Light in this darkened world.

Death on a cross, risen from the dead. His love is gracious and sacrificial.

He is the greatest gift ever given.


Christmas Bells by Jennifer Chiaverini


This was a beautiful novel set in two time periods, modern day and during the life of Henry Wadsworth Longfellow in the 1860's.

Here is a link to my review which I wrote in 2015... Christmas Bells


Come Thou Long-Expected Jesus by Nancy Guthrie


This was also a great book. It's an 'anthology of Advent readings collected from the writings and sermons of 22 classic and contemporary theologians and Bible teachers.' (taken from the description).

Some of the writers include George Whitfield, Randy Alcorn, John Piper, J.C. Ryle, Charles Spurgeon, Joni Eareckson Tada, Francis Schaeffer and Saint Augustine. It's edited by Nancy Guthrie.


*The title of this book is actually a Christmas hymn I'd never heard of before and was happy to discover such a beautiful new song! I thought I'd share it with you:









Note: Painting above: The Nativity by Greg Olsen


15 comments:

  1. I love Come Thou Long-Expected Jesus by Nancy Guthrie. I've read it at least a couple of times and probably will again. I've read parts of C is for Christmas. Nancy has written another one geared for family devotions (but I read it on my own) called Let Every Heart Prepare Him Room: Daily Family Devotions for Advent. Liz Curtis Higgs' The Women of Christmas: Experience the Season Afresh with Elizabeth, Mary, and Anna.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd be interested in Liz's Christmas book. Thanks for the recommendation!

      Delete
  2. I really need to get Nancy Guthrie's book. I'm using the Piper book this year for my nightly reading. so startlingly beautiful and true!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Timothy Keller's work and didn't realize he had a Christmas book. Thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nancy's book seems to be a resource that could resonate year-round. Thank you for sharing titles with your insights.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I think it could. Thanks for stopping by Alice!

      Delete
  5. I shared about books for the holidays recently, too! I love that your list offers me completely new books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will have to check out your Christmas book list!

      Delete
  6. I've read a couple of these but they all look good! Thanks for sharing this Christmas list.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Christmas Bells sounds like a book I would like; I love when a story is told in two different time lines.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too and this one is based on true events!

      Delete
  8. These are wonderfully edifying Christmas book recommendations! I read John Piper's book and it was excellent! I love Timothy Keller Bible studies and did not realize he wrote a book about Christmas. I will definitely need to check that out.

    I think I remember seeing about the book Christmas Bells last year and wanted to remember to read that as it seems like a book right up my ally. :-)

    Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you enjoyed whatever you read this season!

      Delete

Feel free to leave your own thoughts in the comments. I try to respond to all of them by the end of the week. : )