September 21, 2020

5 books on my future reading list

What Jesus Demands from the World

I'm really excited to start this one. It has very short chapters, which is always helpful when trying to get through a large challenging book. : )

Goodreads says here:

"The four Gospels are filled with demands straight from the mouth of Jesus Christ. These demands are Jesus' way of showing us who He is and what He expects of us. 

They are not the harsh demands of a taskmaster. 

For example, the demand that we come to Jesus is like the demand of a father to his child in a burning window, "Jump to me!" Or like the demand of a rich, strong, tender, handsome husband to an unfaithful wife, "Come home!" What Jesus demands from the world can be summed up as: "Trust and treasure me above all." This is good news!

In What Jesus Demands from the World, John Piper has gathered many of Jesus' demands from the four Gospels. He begins with an introduction that puts the demands in a redemptive-historical context, then concisely examines each demand. The result is an accessible introduction for thoughtful inquirers and new believers, as well as meditative meat for veteran believers who want to know Jesus better."



The Faithful Preacher

I'm also really excited to read this book! I've had it on my shelves for years and didn't realize what a gem I had, not until I read about one of these men in a recent read.

This book consists of short biographies of 3 African American preachers, Lemuel Haynes (1753-1833), Daniel A. Payne (1811-1893), and Francis Grimke (1850-1937), as well as several of their sermons.

John Piper says of these faithful preachers:

"Related to their faithfulness is their longevity. Their careers span most major periods in American history, including the American Revolution, slavery at the height of its power, the Civil War, Emancipation and Reconstruction, and World War I. 

Through these periods, they faced extreme hardships. None of them were born into privilege. All of them either witnessed or tasted the lash of slavery and the racial prejudices that followed that institution. 

Around them American society changed radically. However, their commitment to the ministry and their understanding of it remained constant. They continued in the same glorious work of proclaiming the gospel 'instant in season, out of season' (2Timothy 4:2)"


You're not enough (and that's okay)

As Christians we undoubtedly know we are in need of a Savior. 

And I think this book is going to be a reminder of that.

Amazon says here:

"We're told that the key to happiness is self-love. Instagram influencers, mommy bloggers, self-help gurus, and even Christian teachers promise that if we learn to love ourselves, we'll be successful, secure, and complete. But the promise doesn't deliver. Instead of feeling fulfilled, our pursuit of self-love traps us in an exhausting cycle: as we strive for self-acceptance, we become addicted to self-improvement.

The truth is we can't find satisfaction inside ourselves because we are the problem. We struggle with feelings of inadequacy because we are inadequate. Alone, we are not good enough, smart enough, or beautiful enough. We're not enough--period. 


And that's okay, because God is.

The answer to our insufficiency and insecurity isn't self-love, but God's love. In Jesus, we're offered a way out of our toxic culture of self-love and into a joyful life of relying on him for wisdom, satisfaction, and purpose. We don't have to wonder what it's all about anymore. This is it."




The Book of Lost Names

I just started this one and loving it already. I really enjoy novels based on true stories and this one sounds like its going to be fascinating and heart-felt.

The inside flap says here:

"An unforgettable historical novel about a young woman with a talent for forgery who helps hundreds of Jewish children flee the Nazis.

Inspired by an astonishing true story from World War II."



 
 
Saints and Scoundrels in the Story of Jesus

This one sounds really interesting.

The back cover says here:

"The story of Jesus in the Gospels includes all kinds of interesting people—some who claimed to be saints but proved to be scoundrels, as well as scoundrels who were transformed into saints. 

In Saints and Scoundrels in the Story of Jesus, Nancy Guthrie provides a fresh look into what shaped and motivated people such as John the Baptist, Peter, the Pharisees, Zacchaeus, Judas, Caiaphas, Barabbas, Stephen, and Paul. 

Join her as she reintroduces us to these biblical characters, helping us to see more clearly the ways in which they reveal the generous grace of Jesus toward sinners."



15 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing this list. The book of names especially sounds like an interesting read. Many blessings to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm enjoying it so far. Thanks for stopping by Boma!

      Delete
  2. Very curious about the Faithful Preacher. I can tell you that you have a great in store with Nancy Guthrie 's book. Excellent!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing about these books. I am going to check out Nancy Guthrie's book for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have The Book of Lost Names on my to-read list! I love WWII novels. I recent read and LOVED The Last Year of the War by Susan Meissner, which I highly recommend.

    Elena
    https://elle-alice.blogspot.com/2020/09/september-kid-lit-library-edition.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Last Year of the War is on my TBR! Glad you liked it. : )

      Delete
  5. Thanks for sharing this list. I'm always looking for a good read. You're Not Enough is on my list! These others look interesting too. Thanks! Visiting today from the Grace and Truth link up. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you stopped by Marielle and thank-you! Hope you have a great week. : )

      Delete
  6. Thanks for sharing these! I just shared a few I have read this year and recommend, so it’s perfecting timing to find some new titles to look into reading.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will have to check out what you've been reading! Thanks for stopping by Amanda.

      Delete
  7. Wow! Its not often that I see someone's book list and think I would enjoy every one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a feeling they will all be good! Glad you stopped by Lauren.

      Delete
  8. All of these books do sound interesting! I haven't read any of them. I'll be on the watch for them if they pop up at my library.

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to leave your own thoughts in the comments. I try to respond to all of them by the end of the week. : )